Friday, April 24, 2020

Helping a Neighbor in Need - Cleaning her Basement

I woke thinking about one of my elderly neighbors this morning. I was planning on calling her to ask how she was doing and see if she needed anything, but before I could call her, I got a call from her.

She said she needed a face mask and did I know where to get one as she couldn't find one to buy. I told her I would give her one. She then asked if I could help her clean out her basement as I have helped her several times with that type of thing.

I went over and delivered the mask and we spent about 2 1/2 hours cleaning out one small section of her storage room. She didn't have a large vacuum, so I was using a small opening canister vacuum. There was also a box with some furs in it that had a mouse at one time so I carried lots of loads to the garbage and we filled her garbage can.

When using the small vacuum, I had to pick up anything large or it would clog. I stuffed the items into my pocket and forgot about them until I got home and went to get into the shower. There were game pieces and some marbles and a dime.

She had a few lamps that her husband made. He was like a grandfather to my girls and when she asked if I thought I could fix the one and could have them both if I wanted them, I told her I am sure there were a few of my girls that would LOVE to have a lamp made by him. He was my "go to" carpenter for 20 years. He helped me fix so many projects and made me frames etc. I LOVE that man and was very sad when he passed away last year.

I brought home the lamps and will work on fixing the one as I have an extra lamp kit so it is perfect! I am headed over next week to hopefully finish the rest of the storage room as the other shelves aren't as full or messy, and I cleaned the center area of the room so it shouldn't take much more than a day to finish up that room for her. I am glad I could help her.

It is nice that I can help someone during this time. I wore a mask much of the time in her home as I wouldn't want to get her sick, but also, the mice issue.

Have a Blessed Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment