Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Venting the House Due To Methane Poisoning - Part 4

This week I woke for several days in a row with headache and would wake in the night due to heart palpitations and having a hard time breathing when the furnace was on. 

After a few days, I woke up so nauseous that I was feeling really sick, but noticed for the few days prior that I would have the waves of nausea when the furnace was on. This has happened before, but not to the extent. It has been super cold and the furnace has been on almost constantly.

I went down to check on things and twice when I went down the stairs, my ears started ringing. I know it had to be related as I was having all the other symptoms and the main symptoms I have had constantly for years now is the dehydration. My heels are so cracked when I wake up that it is painful to walk for a few minutes. It was worse during the few days where things were so bad. 

I decided I needed to do something as I am waiting for the sewer camera to come back from being fixed and am on the Plumbers time table, so I decided to turn off the furnace. It has been super cold, but I have been bundling up. I finally turned it up to 64 as it was super cold before, but I can tell you that having the furnace off and blocking the basement rooms and drains with towels under the doors, and not having the furnace draw the methane into the rest of the house, I have felt better in the past few days than in months. 

I put fans around the house aiming towards outside, and kept the door open most of the day to blow it all outside. I opened windows so that the fans would draw the clean air into the house. I also have been using the bathroom vents to draw out air as well. When the furnace is on more, I have both bathroom fans on in the upstairs, but was still having symptoms. 

My electric bill has increased much since last year due to the fans on 24/7, but I feel my health is worth it! I have however been cold, but that is the price to feel better and more clear headed, it is worth it. I have noticed my eyesight has also gotten better in the past few days. Also the muscle cramping has gotten better.
So, in short, I blocked the sewer drain with a towel robe. I closed all the doors to the bathroom and laundry rooms in the basement, and put towels under the doors to keep any gasses from coming out. I vent the house using fans and open doors and windows, and have turned the furnace down so that it isn't blowing the gas around the house all night. In the summer, I used the swamp cooler and open windows to blow the gas out of the house. 

I also realized that the small sink hole I noticed over the past few months is getting a bit bigger and is still soft in the bottom. It could be snow and rain, but I think it may be over the sewer if there is a leak there, it could be the source of the air in the line causing the gurgling. I may just start digging it up without waiting for the camera to come as I need this issue fixed. I need to feel good again! 

I will update you once the camera has come and if I dig up the sink hole. Have a Blessed Day!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're getting some relief from that! I shudder at the thought of what my electric bill will be after I had to turn my gas wall furnaces off and start leaving an oil filled electric heater on... but had to. Blessings to you. Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria, I appreciate you always sending blessings. Back at you!

      Delete