Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Temporarily Fixing A Brick Fence Until You Can Fix It

As you know from my recent post, I hit a brick wall by sliding on the ice the other morning before church.

It is cold and snowy and the contractor I met with said he couldn't fix the wall until the weather gets a bit warmer. In talking to the owner of the wall, they didn't want me to pull down the wall leaving a hole in their fence. They said they would rather have some support covering the wall and leaving it up until the wall is ready to be fixed.

I would have pulled it down already if it were mine, but there is a garden box on the inside of the fence and I offered to take the box away and stack the bricks inside the fence. The contractor wants them stacked on the outside of the fence, but I worry they may get stolen if I clean and stack them on the street side of the fence for a long time before the weather warms. 

The owner suggested putting a piece of plywood on the outside of the fence and I thought about that, but worried how to attach it without having it be loose and hanging, and my biggest worry was that if the wind blew against it, that it may force the bricks over. 

With that, I thought that a steel cattle guard would be a better fix over the wall on both sides to contain the bricks and somewhat hold them together until it is warmer, and we can take the fence down and repair it. 

Basically, we just threaded the ropes through the fencing and through the holes in the fence and then up over the top and made it snug. Using the metal guard, the wind can blow through it without putting pressure on the bricks. Also, if the bricks come down, they are somewhat held between the guard. Of course, if the entire wall came down at the same time, it would pull the metal guards down but it is the best option I could think of to hold the fence together until we are ready to fix it. 

Have a Blessed Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment