Wednesday, June 26, 2019

What Princess Five Has Learned So Far On Her Mission

I was asked to give an update in church this coming Sunday about how Princess Five is doing on her mission. I had the chance to talk with her just after a funeral this week and asked her to give me an update as to things she has learned as a missionary that I can share with our church congregation.  My sister who was with me at the funeral happened to be talking to her son who is serving as a missionary in Chili currently and is one of Princess Five's best friends! We held the phones together on speaker and allowed the two cousins to visit with each other in Spanish for a few minutes! My other sister snapped this picture through the restaurant window while we were holding the phones together. It was a fun moment. This is what Princess Five sent me to share in church on Sunday. 

"I've learned that God won't ask me to do anything that is beyond my capability. Even though speaking Spanish is hard, even though driving through potholes and the snow is hard. These are things that God knew I could do, and I have done.
•I've learned a lot about diligence. If you really want to learn a new language or have a greater knowledge of the gospel, you must work on these things continually.
•I'm not the Teacher, the spirit is, and I have to continually remind myself of this. I've learned the importance of frequently sharing my testimony, and let the spirit work.
Right now I'm serving in Kearny, we have a wonderful view of the New York Skyline. We meet a lot of people from Peru and Ecuador. I love being in a walking area because I get to talk to everyone as we walk to and from appointments.

I never thought I was one that had a lot of faith. I knew what I was supposed to do growing up but I never thought of me doing these little things as an act of faith. We talk to people everyday that say they have so much faith. We ask them what they do to show their faith and a lot of times they fall short of an answer. But as I've looked back at my life and the choices I've made, I've seen that through following the commandments, I've been growing and strengthening my testimony.


With that, I have found a love for reading the scriptures! One of my favorite scriptures is in The Book of Mormon, and is 2 Nephi 28:21. "“And others will he pacify, and lull them away into carnal security, that they will say: All is well in Zion; yea, Zion prospereth, all is well—and thus the devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away carefully down to hell.”

Before my mission I didn't cherish the scriptures, and I kept telling myself that everything was ok, and I was doing the bare minimum.  But in exaltation there is no "bare minimum" we must be continually striving to repent and become better. And if anything this is the greatest lesson I've learned this far on my mission. I have a greater love and understanding for Jesus Christ and His gospel. I'm grateful to be serving a mission. I'm grateful for the love, letters, and support I've received from the congregation! My companion right now is a recent convert of 2 years, and I've loved looking back, and sharing with her the experiences I've had growing up in the church. From Primary to seminary and young womens. I'm truly grateful!"

Have a Blessed day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment