Friday, March 1, 2019

Black Licorice Cravings - Iron Deficiency

When I was pregnant for my older three girls, I lived in a costal state and never had cravings for licorice. I craved pickled vegetable and banana peppers with Princess One, root beer floats and salt with Princess Two, and cottage cheese with fruit with Princess Three. 
I had never liked black licorice when growing up. I didn't ever crave it or want it in the past. After I had Princess Three, we moved to a drier inland state, I got pregnant a few years after moving. Very early on in the pregnancy, I craved black licorice which seemed so weird to me. 
 
I went to the grocery store and bought every item I could find that was black licorice flavor and brought them home. I put them in a row on the table and tasted each one, and some didn't satisfy the craving. When I would find one that filled the craving, I would eat it until the craving left. 

After a few months, the cravings left and I never knew why I craved the licorice. I then knew I was pregnant for Princess Five when I started having cravings for black licorice. I had the same craving for around the same time I had them for Princess Four. 

I still never knew why I was craving the black licorice. Interesting enough, dill is an herb, root beer is a root herb that is medicinal, ice-cream is calcium, cottage cheese is protein and calcium, and licorice root and anise are both herbs and medicinal. I think cravings are for a reason and we need to look into what we are craving and it took me many years to figure out why I craved black licorice. 

I have struggled with iron deficiency for many years. I have suffered from being tired and tried many different iron sources. I would get constipated taking iron pills which come from rust sources, but I tried many different types of iron and natural iron and finally found a source that works great. 

It was during that time that someone suggested using Unsulphered Black Strap Molasses. I started taking it and guess what? The flavor I had been craving was that flavor! I was craving IRON! The soil where I live is very iron deficient so it makes so much sense to me that in creating a baby, I would need iron. I am glad I was able to find items that had that in them, but it would have been so much easier to just take some molasses. I take a baby spoon full every day or two. If you take too much, because it is a sugar, it can cause loose bowels, but that little amount is just enough to fill that craving. 

Before I figured that out, when I would get "hormonal" at times, I would crave the black licorice and being gluten free, I would try licorice flavored ice cream, and found some small bits at the health food store, but they are almost too licorice flavored as they make my breath smell like black licorice, so I won't eat them around people.

Recently, I found some gummy type dogs that are black licorice flavored and don't have gluten in them and are somewhat chewy like black licorice so it is nice to have those options. I wanted to share them in case there are other people who crave licorice, or who like it, and can't eat wheat and gluten products, but still want that flavor. 

It was such an epiphany when I realized that molasses was what I was really craving. I hope you have a Blessed and Iron filled day! 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you. I've been craving licorice this last couple of weeks and tried the molasses and that satisfied the craving better than actual licorice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you sharing gratitude with me. I am glad it helped. Have a Blessed Day!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this post, I wondered why I recently started craving black licorice. Makes sense now that you explained it as I used to be anemic and probably running low on iron. I'm not sure I can just take blackstrap molasses anyhow, I love eating the Australian licorice which is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I could help! Good luck! Have a blessed day!

      Delete