Thursday, March 28, 2019

Having Gifts Ready Ahead of Time - Saving Money Buying On Sale

I wanted to share something with you today that I thought was something everyone does for many years and then realized that I was different by doing this.

When I was growing up, my mother always had a closet full of presents. She had 8 children and if she had to run to the store every time one of us got invited to a birthday party or needed a gift for a teacher, she would have continually been running to the store. 

If we needed an item, she would just pull an item out of her closet. She had wrapping paper and we were able to wrap the items and be on our way to the party. Until the day she died, she had gifts in her closets. When I was cleaning out her estate, I took two large boxes of new presents to the funeral and let people take what they wanted from the new items and whatever was left, (I don't know how much as I was doing other things) was donated to a girls camp yard sale. 

Having grown up that way, I have always had  totes full of gifts. If my girls needed a present for a "secret sister" for drill or girls camp, or a birthday present, we could pull out the tote and they could pick a present. I would buy gift bags at the local dollar store or if I see bags of assorted giftbags at second hand stores, I will purchase those. I have many packages of new gift boxes and bags unopened that I have gotten for a few dollars that way. 



When I am shopping and I find a good deal on an item that is generic for babies or weddings, I will purchase bulk. For example, last month I was shopping at Walmart, and ran across a display in the back of the store near the little jewelry bags I purchase for my jewelry sorting videos etc. On the display, were all licensed baby Onesie baby outfits in a two pack. Each two pack was $2. That is $1 per name brand licensed Onesie! 

They had all sizes from newborn up and had lots of boys and girls sets. I made a video sharing that I have 7 siblings and between us, we have over 50 children. Many are newlyweds and are starting to have children. I have a shower a month or more for either weddings or babies and it costs me near $100 to drive to the event buying gas and food etc. I have a brother that lives far from family, but his wife has 10 siblings so with his seven, they have 17 siblings between the two. They budget $500 a month in gas due to family events.

With car issues / sliding on the ice / Migraines etc, I decided that I would make the ones I could make, but wasn't going to stress about driving up for an open house shower each time. I started taking up bulk presents for weddings and showers and leaving them with family members so that I would be able to give a gift at the event, but not have to drive 6 hours for the event. Of course I go for the wedding itself but for showers I am going less and less. I think it was before, it was an "event" where we would quilt a blanket for the bride or baby, but now they are all open house, snack food, in and out events. 

I have stopped using gift bags on many gifts now due to the fact they get so beat up in the car with luggage or sitting in someone's closet waiting to be given at the shower. 

I use tulle that I get at second hand stores new on the role for about $1 and bunch up two or three colors and tie ribbons around the gifts and stick a hole in a card and slide the card onto the tulle ribbon. That way, I can stack them, and before they give them the gift, she can fluff the tulle. I am covered on the gift but not spend $100 and 6 hours driving back and forth. They also stack on a closet shelf and don't take up as much space as the gift bags. 

I share in the video, how I do the same with wedding gifts. My "go to" wedding gifts are frames, photo albums, games, puzzles and puzzle keepers because they are square and stackable putting two or three items for each gift. If I know the couple well, I get them something specific to them. I also have lots of the girls friends getting married, and the girls are not around, so I don't really want to go to every shower or reception. So, I will drop off a gift as soon as I get the invitation except for close friends that I actually know well. We get so many invitations for class mates and the girls haven't seen them in years. 

I know things are different in different parts of the country as weddings were a much bigger deal when we lived near Boston. Just different cultures. 

I am glad I can find cute gifts that are fun and in my price range and am grateful to have such a large family. I am truly blessed. Have a Blessed and Family Filled Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment