Thursday, November 16, 2017

Temples, Pennies, 111, and Rainbows - A Day of Signs


I contacted all of my girls a week or two ago asking if any of them wanted to go on a road trip and see a temple that was built recently. 

The girls are all over living in different cities about two to 5 hours apart. I didn't think any of them would want to converge to go on even a longer drive, but I wanted to go and so I asked. I was right, all of them are so busy presently that they couldn't take the time to go, so I decided Monday that I was going to go by myself. 

I called a Dr. in the area that I wanted to see and asked if I could get in. They gave me an early appointment but having the new car, (see that post here) I haven't driven it enough to know mileage so I didn't take into account needing to stop for gas and actually missed my appointment. I knew I was running late so I called them sharing that I would miss it with the drive etc and they had just had a cancelation so they fit me in for that afternoon.

When I arrived in the city of the temple, I was so excited that I went right to the temple and was a bit confused with large rolling shelves of flowers on the grounds and only a few workers. Looking at the ticket, it stated it was open at 10. I pulled in and they shared that due to frost, all the flowers had died overnight and that they were opening later in the day so that they could replace the dead flowers in the gardens.

I thought it was wonderful that they wanted everyone to enjoy the beautiful flowers. I guess since they were recently planted, the roots weren't strong as pansies are usually quite hearty against frost. They had teams working and got it looking beautiful by the opening time of noon.

With extra time, I went shopping and found some great things. I don't often just go shopping. I am usually picking up specific things and being in a small town, there really aren't many places to go shopping so it was a treat and I was able to see the Dr. and was thrilled with how she helped me. It was worth the drive. 

I had to walk around after seeing the Dr. to set the back for a few minutes so I walked to the nearest grocery store and was thrilled to see that they had fresh sushi. I splurged buying three different containers as it had been a long day. 



While walking through the temple, they had the most beautiful stained glass windows I have ever seen. They were rescued from a church somewhere in New York that was no longer able to maintain the building and someone purchased them and donated them to the temple. The one in the entrance was Christ standing with his arms wide open and facing you. The colors were SO deep and I have never seen one that used the striations in the colors of glass before like that. Truly a masterpiece. The one at the exit at the back doo,r had Christ in the garden of Gethsemane kneeling. Both were absolutely amazing. It was one of those moments that made you wish you had that talent as it was so exquisite.

While walking through one of the rooms called a "Sealing" room, the sun was shining through the stained glass and  caused a rainbow on the altar right in the front and center. It made me think my mother was there with me as the sealing rooms in the temple are used to join families not just until death, we believe in the power to seal families even after death. Brides and Grooms marry kneeling across from one another at the alter to signify that they are putting themselves "on the alter" sacrificing their want as individual, promising themselves to be with that person for eternity.

Also, in the temple, they promise God to obey His laws and only be intimate with their spouse similarly as other marriages say, "Before God" in their marriage ceremonies. The ceremonies are very quiet and reverent and peaceful and I always feel "safe" and at peace there. 

I love that they spare no expense on the building as we believe it is "Gods House" and that He deserves the best and most beautiful man has to offer in His house so they import items from all over the world. The wood was absolutely beautiful, dark mahogany from Africa and many of the carpets were milled in Italy. 

The temples try to match the area where they are built and the last one we visited was near apple orchards and they carried the apple theme throughout the temple. This temple had juniper pine carved into the wood and Columbine flowers carved in the wood, stain glass flowers, flowers on the door handles and woven into the carpets. It was lovely. The outside was more plain that many others and the size is about mid size to some of the others but it stands on a hill like most of the other temples if possible. 

I LOVED getting to go and see it and they also use local artists for the artwork in the temples and I saw several new artists with paintings I have never seen before as well as some of my favorite painters past and present. Truly, one of the main reasons I enjoy going is the artwork. The entire building is like a big piece of art. 

If you even have the opportunity to visit an "open house" of a temple before they are dedicated to God, you should take the opportunity. Once it is dedicated, only worthy members of our church can enter as you need to make covenant to obey certain laws of living and conduct before entering, as it is Gods house. 



Imagine my joy as I was walking to get the sushi and found a penny on the road! I felt like God was telling me that He was watching over me and I should continue to "Trust in Him" by placing that penny right in my path to the store. 

Then, on the way home, I was driving and passed a truck that had 111 on it in huge numbers on the back on its trailer number. I counted myself blessed having seen so many signs throughout the day knowing my mother and God were watching out for me. 

I stopped at the grocery store on the way home as I needed some groceries and I just laughed as I used the self checkout when I spotted the amount of the bananas. I had almost taken two off the bunch when picking them but then thought I could probably eat that many. It was 1.11 for the bananas. 

I had no doubt that it was a blessed day. Being able to have the Dr. fit me in and help fix a problem I have been dealing with for years. Driving my BEAUTIFUL new car (See that post here) there, getting to go shopping, getting to tour the temple and see the rainbow, and I also saw a video that had "rainbow" in the title while out shopping earlier and both reminded me of my mom, (see that post here), getting to get sushi, finding a penny, (see that post here), and seeing 111 twice in a few hours. See that post here

I am truly grateful! Have a BLESSED Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment