Wednesday, November 3, 2010

"In God We Trust" Part 1

Someone sent me a story this week about a rich man stopping to pick up a penny. He hesitated for a moment looking down and the penny, then, he picked it up and held it up to the sky like he had just discovered a diamond and was examining it. A woman asked if it were a rare penny or of great value.


The rich man replied that the money had on it "In God we trust" and that each time he found money on the ground, he felt it was Gods way of reminding him to "Trust in Him" and let go of his worries.


So, each time this man found money, he felt it was put in his path and he would say a prayer giving God his worries and thanking Him for reminding him he needs to trust in Him.


While I was reading that, I thought of how our flag, the symbol of our nation, if it touches the ground, we burn it. We reverence it and stand as it passes, put our hand over our heart and pledge allegiance to it.


However our money, which has our Lords name on it, is thrown, dropped, squished, lost, stolen, killed for, and we don't give it a second thought as it passes through our hands. I doubt that the men who designed our money and our nation put those words on our money lightly and without reason. Everything they put on the money was thought out carefully.


So, I resolved to tell others about my thoughts and that we should respect items that posses our Fathers name on them. I will be giving gratitude when I find coins on the ground and will pick them up and share my thoughts with why I do it with those around me in hopes to give more respect to "His" name.


I also like that it is a reminder to trust in Him. I hope we all find lots of coins in our path!

1 comment:

  1. I used to pass up pennies on the ground, as I thought they were of such little value that I didn't need them. Something made me change my mind, though, and I began seeing them as little gifts that deserve my gratitude. I thought there surely must be something to the old saying, "Find a penny, pick it up, and all day long you'll have good luck." Maybe that's because it is a symbol of our trusting God to direct our paths. Maybe He does put these in our path to remind us to think of Him and be grateful.
    I am going to show this to Hana (chuckle). She has a coin phobia, and it will freak her out!

    ReplyDelete