Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Sealing a Cracked Window - Keep out Condensation


 When we bought this house, I loved the kitchen window. It extends out and has shelves on it. 

For years, I had plants in it but decided when we were out of town so much a few years ago that the plant thing isn't the best for travelers. 

The window, however, had a crack in the inside pane when we bought it. I called a window shop soon after moving in and asked them to fix the window. There is a problem. The company no longer makes that window because it in the past has gotten heavy and sagged from the house so you can no longer get that type of window.  

I asked about replacing just that side or just that pane and they said they couldn't do that as the way the window is made and the angle of the side windows, they can't just replace a pane of glass.

When I had a chip in my windshield fixed recently, I had a thought about trying the same thing with my cracked window. 

I took Gorilla Super Glue (Crazy glue would work as well) and I started squeezing it into the crack of the window while putting a little pressure on the window. 

You can see in this pictures how it is darker where I put the glue and white where I didn't. It actually wicked the glue into the crack and sealed it.    

It is very easy to see how the crack sealed where it is darker and how it is white above on both the photos. I just used the fine tip and squeezed it right on the crack line down the window. I wish I had done it a few years ago and I would have been able to avoid the moisture build up that I get in the winter. 

I think the best time to do this is in the summer when there isn't a moisture build up that sometimes happens in the winter. Anyway, it is just an option for the hard to replace windows 

No comments:

Post a Comment