Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Over-All Cutest T-Shrit Quilt Squares


For today's post, I thought I would show you several ways to incorporate overalls on your t-shirt quilt. 

This Tweety pair had cute pockets on the side of the pant part so as not to loose that, I cut the top front off, the legs by undoing the inside hem and cut the "Looney Tunes" triangle off the back and sewing it onto one of the legs.


If you look at the top picture, it almost looks like the pocket was in the front center but because I cut it just below the waistline and sewed it back on (you can see the black dot heads of the pins across the waist where I pinned it before sewing.) you can't tell that it isn't the front unless looking. Then the other pocket leg, I sewed the triangle on the upper left of the square. They both came out cute. You can get anywhere from 1 to 4 squares off overall depending on what pockets, front and back you want to use.

These other full length overalls could have been used in several ways and I had planned to use the back pockets as a square of their own but once I show you how to sew the crotch to make the back into a flat square, I realized I had a few two square so I cut the pockets out and sewed them onto the bottom of a t-shirt and they look really cute. 

I try to keep as many pockets as I can as children love to put things in pockets or just slide their hand into them on quilts. 
 
The other things I try to keep are the custom buttons. The Looney Tune one's have that written on them. Princess Two's Pooh quilt has "Pooh" buttons on her quilt and loves that I left them on.  I suggest putting anything with lots of buttons on the side bottom or top edges so that when you lay on the quilt in the middle, you don't have a button in your back. 


If you want to make the back of the pants or overalls to be its own square, I show here how you fold them over themselves and then pin a straight line down using a ruler and then sew it and you can get a fairly good square out of them. If there is something decorative on the back and you don't want to lose it but don't have enough for its own square, just cut them off and sew them onto the other square somewhere.

For the front, just cut off the front to what size you want it and cut out a flat square out of a sweatshirt or thicker material and then pin and stitch the front on as most overalls would need something behind them to make a square.

You can see how I did that in the bottom photo when I sewed the Tweety Bird overalls onto a pair of her silky/velvet pajama pants she loved and wore for years.

You can also see in the "I have Issues" t-shirt, how I ended cutting off the pockets from the overalls I showed and sewed them on using zig-zag and I think it came out really fun. I liked the striped red and white of the shirt with the hearts and label in the same color from the pockets.

You can see where I did the same thing with a Tweety from the purple shirt front and stitched them onto the large Tweety overalls. 

This quilt is taking lots of time with all the little things needing to be sewn on but the smile on her face will surly make it worth while.

No comments:

Post a Comment