Monday, November 26, 2012

Homemade Captin America Shield - for Free



I am headed out of town for a week to take my mother out of the country. Some of these posts will be short but I have saved them for just this occasion when I wouldn't have much time to post. 

This Halloween when Princess Four wanted to go out trick-or-treating, her friend showed up with this amazing shield. I thought he bought it somewhere and asked him about it. 

He told me he made it.

Of course, I then had to take a closer look and asked him if I could take some pictures and blog about it. He said that was fine and he was very excited to tell me about it. 

The first exciting thing for him was that he found the lid on the side of the road. He didn't even have to buy it. 


My guess is that you could buy one at a second hand store but what I would do is head to the recycle shops looking for one. 

He took the handle off and put it on the inside instead of the outside. If it is attached, drill some holes through it and screw in a handle from the hardware store.

He then took a hammer and started hitting the outer edge making it flat instead of down. Once it was as flat as he liked, he took some shiny silver metallic duct tape or vinyl and made a star for the center. 

Before putting it on, he spray painted the center blue. He didn't have to mask anything as he would do that before painting the rest red. He then taped down a paper plate and sprayed the rest red. After that, he put the star on. I thought he was very creative in making that for free. I guess the paint cost something but how much fun is that for a child to have to play with. Best part is, it really would work as a shield!

No comments:

Post a Comment