Friday, March 9, 2012

Giraffe on the Wall, Updates on Posts and Small World Moments


Today is going to be a weird post. I have a few posts that need updates and there are some things I wanted to post about that really don't take a full day so here it goes. The following two updates are to some of our favorite foods. If you haven't tried them, you really should. I get calls OFTEN for the recipes.

Update number one: The wedding cream cheese sandwiches - I tried coconut oil rather than butter for the topping mix with the onions, cheese and Worcestershire sauce. They tasted just as yummy as ever without the butter. Here is the link to the original post and a picture. Funny story about those. When my girlfriend visited a few weeks ago from the Midwest, I made these and just as I was finishing making up the last tray tonight, she called asking about the recipe. I laughed as she told me how much her girls enjoyed them. I made up three trays of these. One tray we ate for dinner. The second tray, I made up and baked and then froze in baggies of varied sizes for the girls to pull out and eat at will. The third tray, I made up, put the toppings on and froze uncooked so I could thaw, heat, and bake them when I have out of state company next week. I figured since I was getting all the items out anyway to make them for dinner, I may as well make up a few extra batches. The girls enjoyed them as much as ever.

Update number two: It is on my toffee. I wanted to try adding caramels to the toffee after the toffee crunch layer has been baked. I didn't want to take the time to melt the caramel so I just dumped on the little caramel Kraft bits and let them melt by putting the whole thing back into the oven after I turned the oven off for a few minutes. They spread with a fork but because it was in the oven, the toffee part also stayed melted so I think I will try melting the caramels on their own next time which may add a few minutes depending on how long they take to melt. The other thing I thought after the fact is that I should have tried to use the coconut oil in place of the butter to see how that would work. I didn't think of it until after it was made but I think I may just try it next time to see how it turns out since I want to add the caramel anyway. The girls liked it either way. I tried just a small piece to see how the caramel tasted as it was kinda mixed in with the toffee and thought it was good but think it would be better in layers. I'll let you know how that goes when I do try it. Here is a link to my toffee recipe post.

Lastly, I was in Las Vegas staying at a friends house when we walked into the room she had for us, there was a full sized giraffe painted on the wall. It was so cool. I couldn't believe it when she told me her husband free handed the thing. I took pictures just so I could show my girlfriend who has a 7 foot giraffe she just bought in her family room and has Africa things all over. Also, Princess number three, who went to Africa last summer for a service mission, is decorating her room in African items so I thought they both would think that it was amazing. So, the picture at the top shows how it goes to the ceiling and the second picture shows how it looks toward the bottom with the tail and the other picture is to show the details of the head.


I told my friends husband that he should sell stencils for different animals, it is so cool and if you could just vinyl it onto the wall and then paint, then pull off the vinyl, it would be easy and fun.


The last thing I wanted to share is how amazingly small the world is. I sent an email out to Justin Osmond's organization that I posted about here, thinking he could link to the group that we went to Peru with on our service missions. The group we went with is in with the government in Peru as they have been established for so many years and are so well trusted that the government is matching funds in some areas. I figured if he is going to countries to help people hear anyway, perhaps their organizations money would go further in those countries if the groups worked together. I get nothing either way but thought it couldn't hurt to follow that "feeling" that I should get them hooked up so they can look into joining forces in those countries.


The main PR person that replied to me, come to find out over a few emails, is from New Zealand and is there now. She met Justin through the other organization he worked with for years. I was so happy to meet and talk with her. Just another friend I will hope to get to visit when I get my trip there, hopefully soon. Otherwise, we will meet at a fund raiser next July if she gets back to the states. The world really is a small place.


Perhaps I'll meet you soon in this small world!

No comments:

Post a Comment