Thursday, March 8, 2012

Homemade Corn Chips Fried in Coconut Oil


So, after yesterday post and reading that interesting article, I had a thought today. I remembered in the article that he mentions some people losing weight just by eating corn chips made in coconut oil. Somewhere that stuck in the back of my mind. Tonight as I was thinking about what to make for dinner, it came to the front of my mind.


Corn is a grain and having it be fried in the coconut oil, would give me a grain and the coconut oil so I thought I would dig out my five gallon bucket of expeller-pressed lesser grade coconut oil as I didn't really want to use the gold label and have the chips come out tasting like coconut.



I had some corn tortillas in the fridge so I first scooped out some of the hard coconut oil into my little sauce pan that I use for deep frying. I heated it as I pulled out and cut up the corn tortillas into 6 pie shaped pieces.



I lined a plate with several sheets of absorbent paper towels and got out my tongs to help flip and remove the hot coconut fried tortilla chips.


I used "Real Salt" to salt the chips when they came out of the frying pan and allowed them to cool and drain on the paper towel. Once I got into the rhythm, it didn't take long to make a plate full of chips.

The problem then came from the fact that I was eating them as fast as I was cooking them. They were SO good.

I blindfolded my youngest Princess and gave her a regular chip and one of my new made chips and she said she liked the first one which was a regular chip. However, she was leaving soon and even though someone was at the door waiting to take her somewhere, she ran through the house, grabbed some of the homemade chips even though there were regular one's on the counter and ran off. I laughed as she left.

I finished making the tortillas I had cut up and was cleaning up when all the sudden, I got warm, my heart was beating harder and I thought I was having a hot flash. Then, I realized I was full of energy and I wanted to go down and jump on my cellercise trampoline. I think the oil kicked in at that point.

After it was cleaned up, Princess number 3 showed up so I asked her to try them (I left a plate in the kitchen counter) and to let me know how she liked them. A few minutes went by and I called her and asked if she tried them as I hadn't heard anything. She said, "um, the plate is almost gone." I laughed. I said, "They are good aren't they?" and she replied, "Yes, they are really good!" I went in a few minutes later and this is what was left. I left the plate at the top of the post on the counter so she ate all those chips. When I went in, she was dancing around the kitchen. I was telling her about the difference using coconut oil when she said, "They give you energy too." I stopped and asked her to repeat what she said. I laughed saying that they gave me energy as well.

After she and I both felt we had "energy" after eating them, I pondered on the grain/coconut oil relationship as I usually don't feel energy after eating just the oil. I think somehow, the oil allows the simple sugars in the grain to be used by the brain. I would love to see a study and a brain scan of the brain before, during and after eating grains with the coconut oil. I bet it would be interesting.

Princess number 4 and 5 just arrived home and in comes Princess number five with one of the last few chips in her mouth. I said, "You are eating the chips you didn't like?" She said, "I like them, they are really good." Princess four then went in and tried them and said, "They taste like the chips at the Mexican restaurant." I will take that as a thumbs up!

I think I have a new favorite. I did want to see how they tasted after a day or two to see if they taste stale but there aren't any left. I will have to make some more for that taste test but hide them away before they get eaten or I won't know how well they taste over time.

It hadn't occurred to me to use the coconut oil to deep fry until reading that article. I always used olive oil but it makes much more sense as I have read that coconut oil has a higher temperature for oxidation etc.
I was just about to finish this post adding the last pictures when Princess number five comes in and says, "Those chips were really good, could you make some more?" I told her that she picked the other in the taste test and why make them if she liked the others better and she said, "The first one I tried didn't have enough salt. They are really good so will you make some more?" I guess that is five stars from the Princesses then.


Happy Frying... Oh, one last thing, the bucket opener for the five gallon buckets is a must. I opened one earlier without it and broke off my nail. It is worth the few dollars to have one on hand for opening those larger buckets.

3 comments:

  1. Where do you get your lesser grade oil for frying?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave,
      I buy my oils through a local distributor. Her prices are a bit cheaper than the actual site most of the time but if you go to this post, it gives you that information. Hope that helps. If not, write me. http://thesecretisgratitude.blogspot.com/2012/03/coconut-oil-with-grain-lose-weight.html

      Delete
  2. I tried a few new things with these. Type in "cheese chips" in the search at the bottom of the page and you will see the other post. Look at the comments as well as I updated them.

    ReplyDelete