Friday, March 30, 2012

Bunko or Bunco - 16 Years Strong - Like Sisters to Me





Forgive the sparse pictures. My 256k internet service is having some big issues loading the past two weeks. I have been at it for hours and can't get much to load. Sorry about the lack of pictures. It may be the weather storm coming in as we lose internet at times.


When I first moved to this small town, I didn't know anyone. It was my first move as a married adult. I had only lived in one home after getting married and had no children at the time. Moving with Princess number 3 being a new born and two other small children to a small town where it seemed everyone knew each other, I was a bit lonely at first. Two of the first three friends I made were recent move-ins themselves. One was from the west coast and the other moved down the week she had her second child.



After we finally settled in after renting for about a year, I wanted to make more friends in my new neighborhood. I asked people of different faiths, ages and personalities to join a bunko (some spell it bunco) group. The group has lost a few members to moving over the years but of the original 12, 8 are still in the group. The four others that are in it now have replaced those that have moved in and moved out over the years.



I have come to love each of these women like sisters. They have been through my divorce and now another dear friend is going through a difficult divorce. We have lost parents, had babies and some have taken vacations together. Today, we had two happy announcements that two had children get engaged this month and one sad occurrence in that one lost her father and the viewing was today.


One of the women I mentions and is actually my first friend in town, she announced her 27 year old daughter is engaged. We were all so happy for her. The other women I mention that was one of the other women I met that moved into town, her father died this week.



I can't tell you the emotions that swell when I think of these women and the things we have experienced together. Many have had health issues, some depression, others divorce, some child issues, loss of children and other family members, and the list goes on. We are real life moms living with real life issues. However, we are blessed more than most in the fact that we have each other. If someone is having a crisis in life, we take over hosting for them or help when and how we can.



When my mother almost died, (see here for that post) the dear friend whose father died this week, went to my house, picked up the prizes I bought and put on dinner at her home for me. That is just one of the many things she has done that has blessed my life through the 17 years I have lived here.



Today, I woke to a feeling that I needed to call her. I did. I asked if there was something I could do for her. Her answer almost made me cry. She said, "People always think we are sisters anyway, I am on my way to the funeral home, they would think we were related and you are good at decorating, you could come help me set up the display if you want." I was so honored she would allow me to come help her with such a tender an emotional thing. I cut some flowers from my garden and put them in a vase and went to help her set up.



I took a camera and got some precious pictures with her with her father which about brings tears to my eyes. We set up the display and it looked lovely. I feel so blessed to be able to help her.



I had to drive a friend to a Dr. visit in a town about 40 minutes away so had to leave right after but as we walked out, she said, "Have fun at Bunko tonight." with tears in her eyes. I know that was because we are family.



We pitched in on flowers and a card to help with expenses and went to the viewing. I bought one flower from each "sister" that she could plant in her yard to remember from year to year. She loves her yard and I wanted something she could enjoy. I wish I had taken pictures of the beautiful hyacinths and tulips as the colors were beautiful and bright. I also got her a watering bucket charm and wrote, "I hope this "waters" you as you have often "watered" us." I actually looked for "dice" on a charm but wasn't able to find any.

I have to tell you one funny thing that happened as I was headed out the door for bunko. I changed after going to the viewing and was walking out and "Iris" was playing by GooGoo Dolls. (
to see what that is about, click here.) I asked Princess number four if she picked the song. She said, "No, it is Pandora." I laughed and said aloud, "I wonder what God is trying to tell me because I am obviously not getting it!" I leave, go to bunko, take a detour to drop my youngest Princess off at the viewing to be with her friend, drive across town, and walk in to the hostess's house. One of the women took a group photo which took a few minutes. The hostess quites us down and starts to pray and guess what song is playing during the prayer? Bet you can't guess! Yes, "Iris!" I actually was a bit freaked out. One, because we don't normally pray with music playing but she had her ipod in a speaker system and I thought of the millions of songs out there, she had "Iris" playing.



I told the women how much I love them tonight and for some reason have a feeling that something in my life will soon change. I pray it is a good thing but we are all moving on and things have a way of shifting so I pray that things will shift in a good way. If I did end up moving or something, I know these women will always be counted as blessings in my life.




We really are blessed to have such an amazing group of women. I have met many people over the years that said they didn't like their group or the group fell apart over the years but our group is stronger and stronger as we went through having our children together, we are now going through having our grand children together. If I ever move from this beautiful town, the thing I will miss the most, are the women who hold it together, my friends, my sisters!



The prizes we win and yummy dinners we eat are just frosting on the amazing cake of friends. The bunny at the side is the prize I won tonight. Its ears are the spreaders for the dip that goes in the bowl. Its a cute decoration as well.



Am I blessed or what?!

No comments:

Post a Comment