Saturday, May 22, 2010

Saltine Cracker Toffee

About 18 years ago, I went to a party at my friend Andrea's Tennis Club. I tried some not so exciting looking toffee and since that moment, I was in LOVE! I asked her to find out who made the toffee and get me the recipe. Thanks Andrea for this gem!


I have made this for years and come up with my own variation of the quickest method and how to get the most out of the recipe. I get requests for it at all the family parties. I have given this recipe away in the line at the grocery store while buying bags of mint chips, at parties, online and many have called over the years asking for it. Both my older girls called me from college asking for details on how I make it. Since you are now a trusted member of my Blogging "Family" I will share this most cherished family recipe with you!


SALTINE CRACKER TOFFEE (YUMMY)



1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 sleeve saltine crackers
1 ½ cups chocolate chips and flavored chips (mint, pb, etc)
toppings such as: chopped nuts, m & m’s, coconut, Butterfinger etc. (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large cooki
e sheet with tin foil and then cover with saltines. In a sauce pan, heat butter and brown sugar to boiling. Once boiling, boil for 3 minutes EXACTLY, stirring constantly. It should look like this. If the butter is still on top, boil a bit longer continually mixing until the butter is mixed into a caramel.




Then, pour mixture over crackers and coat all crackers. Next, place sheet into oven for exactly 5 minutes. Remove promptly and use a fork to put crackers back together.


Pour chocolate chips over tray and allow to melt for 1 minute or so. Using a fork, spread chocolate evenly over entire tray of toffee and cover with your favorite topping. Let it cool until it is hard. Break into pieces and serve.




For a variation, you can use stripes of different chips, ie. 1/3 mint, 1/3 butterscotch and 1/3 chocolate and then use three different toppings across all three making it look like you made 6 different trays. I did five flavors and 5 toppings on this one just to give you an idea.


The white, peanut butter, Wilton disks and butterscotch chips don't melt as well as the chocolate, cinnamon and mint chips. You can see in the picture how they mixed in with the caramel because they are harder to get to melt.


If you want an elegant look, I just do crushed nuts and one type of chocolate and place it on a nice tray. If I am giving them as a "thank you" gift, I put it on paper plates, cover with aluminum foil and write with a Sharpie pen on the top of the foil eliminating a card. You can let the kids decorate the foil with colored Sharpies and give it as a piece of artwork with the toffee!


One more thing, I take the little pieces that fall off when I am breaking it apart and put them in a baggie and put them in the freezer. We use that as a topping for ice cream.



Your family will never be the same!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy!
    I've seen the toffee made with saltines before but never with so many different toppings. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had this once when you made it...SO YUMMY! Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete