Monday, March 19, 2012

Carrots and Mushrooms - Love the Food Bank


I got a call from the food bank the other day. They said they had pallets of carrots that needed to go and cases of cut mushrooms. Of course I rushed down. They asked me to dehydrate the mushrooms so I took two cases of the sliced mushrooms and two cases of the huge carrots. Once again, they were very large. Here I am holding one. I have large hands and I couldn't get my hand all the way around the carrot. It was LARGE.

Princess 4 and 5 spent the evening with me peeling carrots. (Notice they are wearing the aprons I made them last year. Here is a link to that post.) It was lots of work peeling and cutting up the two cases. The state food bank wraps the boxes in cellophane and sends them down on a refrigerated truck and they get moist and start to mold. The top boxes seem to do OK but the bottom boxes are always wet. So, I took two cases off the bottom and we had to do something with them quickly or they would mold.

It was great timing as the last cases I got before the wedding were just about gone. I had one large bag of sliced carrots left.

We sliced one case into larger chunks for Sunday roasts and put them into quart bags and then put two of the quart bags into gallon bags. I had some gallon sized Christmas bags I got on clearance that I used. For the second case, we cut those into small slices for soups so I can just dump them in already peeled and cut. I also juiced some and put them in ice cube trays so I can add a cube to the girls smoothies I have been making at night with dinner.

Peeling all those carrots stains our hands black. I am not sure why that is but it happens every time. I also left some fresh to use for carrot sticks etc.



The house smelled like mushrooms for a few days. The girls said they couldn't stand it but Princess number five said that she wanted me to make my hot salad dressing. I usually put mushrooms in it so I guess the smell made her want it. Here is a link to that dressing.

I got two stuffed quart sized bags of mushrooms to take back to the food bank. I am so glad there is some way to help other than sorting and fund raising. Sometimes, those take time away from home. But, dehydrating, I can do while at home with my girls.

I am grateful for the food bank in my life. It allows me to serve those at the food bank, those that use the food bank and at other times, those in the community in other ways like when we did the fourth of July booth. Click here for that post.


Check out tomorrow, I will show videos of juicing, freezing banana's and making vegetable flour if I can get them to upload.

No comments:

Post a Comment