Monday, March 28, 2011

"Overall" Cutest Aprons Part 2






So, I got busy this weekend and finished the "Overall" aprons for my girls for Easter. I may have a fight on my hands for the turquoise blue one however. I think I will just have to have them draw numbers or something. If you click on the photo, it will make it larger so you can see them better.



I used three different types of overalls. I used an overall skirt, overall shorts and regular overalls. The skirt/dress one was by far the easiest and is the widest apron. The shorts made for a little shorter apron but worked about the same as the regular overalls.


I liked the look of the rick-rack on the pockets and liked the more "fringe" looking lace or findings on the bottom. Here is a photo of all the bottoms so you can see the variety that I used.



I also liked the look of the larger rick-rack for the tie but don't think it will tie as well and the larger rick-rack is quite expensive so I would suggest using ribbon of some kind.



I also liked the look of the "character" overalls. It gave it a bit more color and didn't need as much decorating. However, you are then limited to the color of the character. If using a solid overall, you can choose any type of decoration you want. You could even use an iron on decoration of some kind.



The possibilities are endless. I made the black one for my older girls thinking they would like something not so "colorful" and "child like" but was surprised that they liked the more "bling" looking and colorful aprons.



It did end up taking me over 2 hours to cut, pin, sew and decorate each apron. I broke a few needles on the overalls that had side pockets and carpenter loops in them as they had rivets which I hit a few times. Also the thicker pockets on hemming the sides cost me a few needles. However, the girls are excited about them. They didn't see their own but did see me working on "Something" which they kept wondering about.



I am going to keep my eyes open for a few more pair of overalls at yard sales so I can make them for gifts. Wouldn't it be cute to make one and give it with the recipe book "shower" I posted about a few weeks ago. You could scrap the front to match the apron. That would be a really cute cover picture for the recipe book. The bride in the apron you made for the front picture! Very cute indeed! Here is that post if you missed it. http://thesecretisgratitude.blogspot.com/2011/03/recipe-binder-briadal-shower-gift.html



I think peeling the vegetables for our Sunday roasts is going to be a much more colorful event after Easter. I'll have to get a photo of them all wearing their aprons and post it after Easter.



"Overall"..... It has been fun making these aprons. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment