Monday, June 20, 2011

Hot Mushroom Salad Dressing

I went to my friend Wayne's house for dinner about 24 years ago and he served us something I had never had before. He served a green salad and made a hot salad dressing for the salad.



The dressing was so good that I never forgot how interesting it was to have a cool salad with a warm dressing. It took me about 13 years before I tried to copy his dressing. I guess I was worried it would ruin the salad.


This type of dressing is probably my favorite for a green salad. The things I put into the dressing are as follow:



beef, chicken, mushrooms, chopped or sliced onions, crushed garlic, crushed red pepper, olive oil and sometimes chopped up leafy dark greens such as collard or spinach to add color or you can add finely chopped green, red or yellow peppers to add color as well.


First, I heat a pan and add about 1 cup olive oil if I am using dehydrated items, 1/2 cup if it is meat and onions. I usually use frozen onions I bought in bulk, chopped and froze to make it easier to cook. I add about 1 large chopped onion and then throw in about 1 cup dried mushrooms. I used regular button mushrooms and portabello that I dried last year. I left some of the portabello slices quite large for texture.


Next, add the garlic and crushed red pepper. I like mine spicy so I add about 2-4 tablespoons of garlic and a teaspoon of crushed red pepper. put in the peppers or greens now. Stir it all together and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.


If you let this simmer longer than that, it tends to toughen the mushrooms and make them almost like jerky. Not that that is bad. I actually like it like that. However, for a more tender mushroom, less is better.


While it is simmering, I get the greens ready for the salad. I like the organic spring mix or the herb mix. I like the unusual flavors the herb mix brings. I add croutons, bacon bits and Parmesan cheese to top it off.


This part is important. Only put the dressing on right before serving or the dressing will make the salad soggy. You will laugh when I tell you that I had company the night I made this and we were in a hurry to eat and we got everything ready and I forgot to take a picture with the dressing on the salad.



We had people coming and going for several house after we ate and most commented on how good the house smelled. My company enjoyed the food as I also did. Hopefully, you will also!

1 comment:

  1. i remember the boxes and boxes of portabello mushrooms you had last year. That dressing sounds really good, i think i will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete