Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Disney's Try-Athelon Contest


I was on a website the other day and it said, "Win a trip to Hawaii" and I thought, "I would sure love to win a trip for my girls." So, I clicked on the link and read all the rules and thought I should enter. As you know by reading yesterday's post, we are big believers in contests. So, see below for the page layout of the contest and my "story" of how we changed our lives to eat better.

Disney's Magic of Healthy Living

Dehydrated Snack Attack
Contest Photo by: tejaeres
Category: New Foods
Vote for Me
0 Votes
Enter Now
Share Contest Rules About the Prize
Tell us your story:
Having 5 girls, I know body image is an issue. I wanted to help my girls & others make healthier eating choices. I felt if I had nutritious food available, it would be easier for them to choose healthier snacks. I started dehydrating fruits, seeds and veggies. We enjoy them dried & I began using them in cooking and baking. We keep sectioned containers with dried fruits, veggies, & fresh fruits on the counter. To help other as well, we write a blog & post how we dehydrate to eat healthy.


It really is amazing how putting that fruit on the counter has changed the way the girls eat. They love dried fruit and their friends enjoy it as well asking for it when they come over to watch a movie or something.


Just today, Princess number five came home and told me that one of her friends was talking to a boy about how we always have dried fruit on our counter. I laughed and laughed because I had just entered the contest last night.


When my children go to a party where they are supposed to take a pot luck item or I go to a pot luck, we take the tray. When I go to the singles game night, I take the tray. If I forget it, someone always asks for it. It is usually empty by the time we go home.


Once someone tries the fruit, it doesn't take long before they are addicted to a certain fruit and ask if I add anything and how I dehydrate them. I have never added anything to the fruit other than salt once in awhile on grapefruit or melon if I am eating it and the only other time is on tomatoes if I have tons, just to give it variety.


There have been so many times when someone eats some of the fruit and ends up buying their own dehydrator. I usually suggest if they are going to do apples that they buy the apple, peeler corer.


Just Sunday, Princess number 1 called asking a few questions about how I prepare the apples as she used her new Bosch mixer, copper/slicer attachment to do some apples but they were a bit thinner than I like and was asking about drying times as she is using her dehydrator for the first time.


I should have had her send me some photos I could post as this was the big day she would take off her first batch of dried fruit! She got some apples for Christmas they couldn't finish eating raw and thought they would probably eat more if they were dried.


So, take my advice if you haven't yet, try dehydrating some fruit. Keep a container on the counter and see for yourself how long they last!


Hawaii, Here we come!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment