Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Treasures from Others Trash




The other day I was at a second hand store. If you read this blog then you know that I find many treasures there. I usually look at the metal shelf for any silver items. I pick them up and if they are really heavy, they are silver plate over brass or copper. If they don't have much weight, they are usually a tin with a light overlay. I picked this item up and it wasn't heavy so I thought it was electroplate or overlay but I checked just to make sure.


Because of the tarnish pattern, I really didn't think it was sterling but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that it was sterling from Rodgers. It is a beautiful dish and I will use it for mints or treats when I host bunko or parties. I will be hosting some in the next few months with my Second Princess leaving out of the country.


I was even more thrilled when I saw the price tag of $.25. I have gotten silver items often and enjoy finding treasures. I polished it up and it looks very nice but someone used something abrasive to clean it in the past but that is only on close inspection. It is nice to have silver and gold in case of a monetary collapse but I enjoy using it as well. It is a bonus.



I usually check the silverware isle as well and many times have found sterling pieces of silverware. Most often I find silver plated silverware but I met a man that uses a rose tip on his welder to heat the silver and it drips off the other metal and that is how he makes money.


I really enjoy finding things that have duel purpose. This silver bowl has at least three for me.


I wrote about finding silver in this post: http://thesecretisgratitude.blogspot.com/2010/04/treasure-hunting-for-gold-part-2.htmland I wanted to share about this item I found last month. I will share about what I found this week tomorrow! Stay tuned.....

No comments:

Post a Comment