Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Cornrow Hair with Beads - Bead Brains

I was going to post on my great silver finds last week but I forgot that the silver I got was in the pocket of my camera bag which is still not in my possession so that treasure story will have to wait for another day.




So, Princess number 5 saw the cornrow braids I did on Princess number 3 for her Kenya trip and decided that before she left for camp this week, that she wanted her hair in cornrows as well. This week being busy with out of town guests and us leaving again to go out of town with the girls going to camp, mom took a lazy way out and made the corn rows a bit wider than I did on Princess number 3.



This was all fine and well until I tried to put the bead in. It took me longer to try and put the beads in her hair than it did to braid it. At first, I would twist the end around my finger and then wrap it back on itself and form a loop. Once I had a loop, I would shove it into the bead and pull the loop through. I had to fight with it several times to get all the hair through as it was all different lengths but this is how I got the glow beads on my older daughters hair for Kenya.



With the bigger hair braids, I couldn't get it all to come through. I was so frustrated by the end I tried using yarn wrapped around the hair to pull it through the beads. The hair was so thick it wouldn't pull through doubled.




Next, I tried pulling the end through the bead using a crochet hook used to pull hair through a cap when highlighting. Within one or two uses, I broke the tip off as the hair wasn't pulling through well either. I told my youngest that she would have to go without beads as I couldn't figure a way to get them on.




At this point she says, "Why aren't you using those beads that clip that you put on your shoelace a few years ago?" OK, it was at this point that I felt like a "bead brain!"



Several years back we bought three or four packages of hair bead clips that I used on a flight to keep the youngest kids entertained. I took shoe laces and had them clip the beads onto the laces while in flight. One of the packages changes colors when it gets into the sun. I couldn't believe that she didn't mention it sooner and that I didn't remember it myself!



She went and got the package out of the hair clips drawer and the clips were on and done in seconds. I was so happy that she got the beads in her hair and that I was done fighting with the beads. I know there must be a tool for putting the beads on hair but for me, the clip on beads are the best and so worth it!



Princess number 5 was thrilled with her cornrows and Princess number 4 decided that she also wants her hair done in cornrows for camp so I will be busy with the fingers tomorrow braiding her hair but I will breeze through the bead part with several shades of blue and some color changing clear beads in the end. I will post photos of both beauties together with their braids tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I bought mine years ago at a craft store. Try looking them up online. Sorry I am not more help. Interesting that just today we went through all the hair stuff and all the kids told me to keep those beads as they had such fun memories with them.

    ReplyDelete