Thursday, August 4, 2011

Cornrows - Third Time's a Charm


So, I didn't get a photo of the two girls with their cornrow braids together as I didn't finish Princess number 4's until midnight because we had house guests and by the time we ate and cleaned up etc, it was late.


However, I have to say that as with anything, practice makes perfect and things come easier over time. I put in "Back to the Future" part 1 (I found all three for $1.50 the other day and thought it would be fun to watch in a marathon.) and started her hair.


I had her hair braided and had all the beads into her hair before McFly punched out Biff! I do admit that I didn't make her braids as thin once again but it still looks cute, will stay clean and will be out of her hair for camp this week and all in less time than a video.


I used blue clip on beads for her hair. We have pink and the color changing as well as fall colors which she could have chosen.


My youngest didn't know that the beads I used in her hair were color changing in the sunlight until we ran errands today. She was so excited by the whole thing.


I looked up "color changing hair beads" and this is what I found on my first link. It wasn't the clip in kind but it was a cool site that has lots of beads that would be great for a fair booth or something.


I kept looking and found these amazing "Mood Beads" that change color with your body and air temperature! They have them in all sizes and shapes. VERY COOL. Anyone want to go in on an order? Those would be cool in the hair or a bracelet etc.


I really thought it would be easy to find the clip on beads doing a search but I came up with a site that finds all the wholesalers of anything. All the beads from all the companies are listed on this site. I looked at page one of lots for that search. Here is a link if you are interested in making some money selling color changing jewelry. Mood jewelry etc. It is amazing what is available.


The supplies I keep together in a plastic bag to make it easy. There is a 500 pack of the small plastic rubber bands that slide out without pulling the hair. I used to use the rubber bands but they pulled hair. These are for sale at any store such as WalMart. They have 4 or 5 sizes in the bag and any of them work because they are so small. I have used waxed dental floss or colored barrettes or elastics but like the black for their dark hair the best. They do sell clear as well but I like to be able to see the elastic as I use small scissors to cut them out rather than trying to take the time to undo them all.


I use a small comb to make the parts in the hair straight. I use a large hair elastic to keep the other hair tied out of the way as I braid each braid. Then the beads for color and texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment