Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Breakdown Blessings - part 1

Heavenly Father has always protected me. Through my life there were many times I felt guided and found out later that if I had gone and done what I was going to do, something could have happened.


I had one of those wonderful moments this weekend. I was visiting family in another city and was headed to go dancing this weekend. My dancing buddy called last minute telling me she wasn't able to go with me. I called another friend but she didn't answer.


I decided to go anyway. On the highway halfway to the destination at 10:00 at night, my radio shuts off. Within seconds, the lights begin to fade and the car starts to lurch.


Blessing number one. I was near an off ramp of the highway and by turning the car off and putting it in neutral, I was able to coast down to the bottom of the off ramp to the light and pull off the road.





Blessing number two. I was able to call my dad who lived only miles from the off ramp where I broke down. I was staying with my sister 30 minutes away.


Blessing number three. Some gentleman stopped and offered to push me. It was dark and he looked nice enough but I didn't know where to have him push me or if he could push me anywhere so I told him thanks but that I had help on the way.



Blessing number four was great as I was able to start the car and drive into a motel parking lot before the car lost power and went dark and the hazard lights no longer worked which would have left me dark on the off ramp.


Blessing number five. My dad picked me up and took the battery out thinking it was the alternator or the battery or both. He took me home to his house where I was able to borrow pj's get a toothbrush and sleep on the couch.Thanks to my sister for keeping my kids overnight.


Blessing number six. Getting up in the morning, my dad had charged the battery. We put it back in the car and were able to find a Auto Zone open at 8 a.m. on a Sunday morning. They checked and said the battery was bad and that the alternator was going out.


Blessing number seven. My dad insisted on paying for the alternator and saved me $150 on the part as we got part back when we returned the bad one to the store later. He followed me to his house where he had ramps to work on the car.


Blessing number eight. My wonderful step mother had fresh waffles, cut strawberries, cream and fresh juice slush for breakfast when we got back with the car and parts.


Blessing number nine. We were having a family party for lunch as a nephew is leaving to serve as a missionary in Mexico this week. My kids and I were fed lunch. My older daughter did the youngest daughters hair and drove them to the luncheon but had to head for college in another city after.


To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment