Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Homecoming Dress Alteration

My daughter was asked out for her first date to homecoming. She was excited by the prospect. Having five girls I thought she could find a dress that one of her sisters used that she would like. Styles, and sizes kept her from finding one she liked that we already owned.


We visited several second hand stores in hopes of finding something that she would like that would be in our budget and one that was modest so she would feel comfortable wearing it.


We found a black evening gown that was beautiful but had a see through strip on the side and was large. I told her I thought I could alter it and get it to fit and could make a bolero jacket to make it modest to wear. We bought it for $15.


It had some tape sticky stuff on it. I am not sure why someone had tape on it but I took some scotch tape and put it over the sticky and rubbed and then pulled it off quickly and the area looked like new. I did this same trick where some deodorant got on it under the arms. I just used scotch tape, rubbed the top of the tape after sticking it on the dirty area and pulled the tape up quickly and the white came right off.


I did have to replace a few beads that had been lost or come loose but that was an easy fix.


I used a seam ripper to take apart the side seams removing the see through section completely. You can see it in the above picture. I then sewed the two remaining side together and tried it on her. I just kept taking it in until it fit perfectly. Then I sewed up the lining on the inside by hand making it so you couldn't even tell that it had been altered. Tomorrow, I'll show how I made the jacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment