Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Zucchini Muffins or Bread


First off, I think a good mixer is important to making your bread and muffins. I have used this Bosch mixer for about 20 years now. I have never had a problem with it and use it regularly. I have family who have bought and used several other types of mixers and my mixer has outlasted them all.


My mother bought a Bosch before I started Jr. High 30 years ago and hers still works. It is a good brand and holds its value.


I have a standard recipe I use but add different things in the end turning it into several flavors by adding chocolate chips to a third, nuts to a third and both to the last third. It gives variety and allows for options for those with nut allergies or aversions.


I know that I can triple the recipe in my Bosch so I always make a triple batch for sharing and freezing of whatever goodies I am making.


One trick I use as I am making muffins that my sisters said they had never seen before. I put the muffin liners in the tins and then I spray Pam cooking spray over the top of the muffin tin which keeps the muffins from sticking to the tin as they bake over the edges. It helps in clean up also. I have four tins with six slots each and two tins with twelve slots. This way I can have one tray ready to go in as soon as the other trays are removed from the oven.


I buy holiday muffin liners after the holiday on clearance for a huge discount and always have plenty as I bake often.


Here is the recipe: Zucchini Muffins/Bread

3 eggs
2 cups shredded zucchini
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
3 cups sifted flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup nuts (optional)
1 pkg chocolate chips (optional)
Sometimes I add coconut, dried cranberries, raisins etc.


Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix eggs and sugar together well and then add the rest of the liquid ingredients. Once that is well blended, add all dry ingredients with mixer on. Once it is well blended, pour into muffin tins with liners. I usually fill them to near the top.


Bake at 325 for approximately 30 minutes. If you are baking bread, depending on the loaf size, adjust time accordingly. The bread or muffin should be rounded at the top and turning a golden brown on the top. Makes 2 normal sized bread loaves.


I take the muffins out of the tin immediately and let them cool on cookie racks until cool enough to put in Tupperware for freezing or storing. I will also put a few of each variety on little colored plates from the dollar store and take them as thank you gifts to friends and neighbors.



Hope you enjoy your muffins as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment