Friday, September 10, 2010

Zucchini as Spaghetti


I read an article recently that talks about a link between eating wheat and diabetes. The study found that wheat may be the cause of so many getting diabetes in our nation. It was quite recent and was sent to me by my brother.

The reason he sent it is that if I eat whole wheat anything, about 15 minutes later, I am exhausted! I can't function. If I have a piece of bread hear or there, I am fine. However, if I eat large amounts of bread or other wheat laden items, I can hardly move. So, with that information, I was looking for an alternative to spaghetti. I found it in zucchini.

When I put zucchini in my little Oster food processor or shred it by hand, it almost looks like spaghetti. Heated up for a few seconds in a sauce pan with melted butter and it has the texture and taste of spaghetti.

I make spaghetti sauce from scratch and bottle it every year. It has a wonderful taste but isn't as thick as the traditional spaghetti sauces.

The nice thing about zucchini, is that you can freeze it and use it at any time. I shred lots of it at the same time. I freeze it in yogurt containers to keep it from getting squished or damaged in freezing and thawing. It can be used for breads, other baked goods or as spaghetti.

For stir fry, I slice it in circles or quarters. It is one of my favorite items to add in a stir fry with summer squash and fresh tomatoes from the garden. I will add zucchini and summer squash to my spaghetti sauce also cut into small chunks. It really is one of my favorite summer foods.

Here is to the green wonder veggie!

No comments:

Post a Comment