Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Cracker Jack Caramel Popcorn Recipe - Paper Bag Popcorn

 

I was looking for some kind of wedding "thank you" treat to hand out at the reception. My sister said they gave out bags of popcorn at her daughters with a sticker saying, "Thanks For Popping In" on the front. 
I said plain popcorn wouldn't be great, but the caramel popcorn I make would get super sticky in the heat and wouldn't do well being made ahead of time. 

Here is one recipe we use that has marshmallows in it. 

Here is another sticky recipe we use that has peanut butter in them. 


There is another type of popcorn treat I make and give out at Christmas that has melted chocolate with different flavors on it, but worried that would melt in the heat and make a huge mess if anyone opened it at the reception as it is outside and will most likely be hot.

Here is a link to the post about that.
My sister then suggested my "Aunts" recipe for popcorn. I had NO idea what recipe she was talking about as I have never had that aunts recipe of any type of popcorn. She said "The one that you make in a paper bag." I told her I had no recollection of anything like that. She said "It is like "Cracker Jacks" as it doesn't get sticky like others. 
I asked her to send me my "aunts recipe" and the picture at the top is what she sent, she got it that way from my Aunt who got it from someone named "Hatch" and I have no idea who that is or if my aunt knew them. It took me a week or two to have the time to make it, but I also had to find paper bags to make it. I was finally able to find the items and to make the recipe. Here is the recipe:

Wedding Reception Popcorn

1 C. Brown Sugar

1/2 C. Butter

1/4 C. White Karo Syrup

Pinch of Salt

1/4 TSP Baking Soda

 3 Quarts Popcorn

* Can add nuts, pretzels, M&M's, chocolate chips or anything else that sounds good

2 Paper Bags

Mix the top four ingredients into a microwave safe bowl and put in for exactly 3 minutes. Take it out and stir it, and then put it into the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes longer. 

Have the two bags inside each other and the dry popcorn in the bag and ready for this next part. Take the heated mixture out of the microwave and stir in the baking soda.

Once it is fully mixed and stirred, pour it into the paper bag into the center so the caramel isn't on the sides. Roll the top down over each other on the bags and start shaking vigorously.

Put it into the microwave and heat for exactly 1 minute. Shake vigorously and put in the microwave for 1 more minute. Shake vigorously and put in any of the "other" ingredients at this point and shake them until coated. Pour out onto a cookie sheet and let cool. 

When cool, put into container.  

At this point, I will share that I thought 1/2 cup of butter was LOTS and that perhaps it could be made with 1/3 to 1/4 cup, so I tried that recipe and had people taste test both types, one with the larger amount and one with the lesser amount of butter. The one with the 1/2 cup butter was the winner as it was really creamy and smooth tasting, but it does leave a greasy film on your fingers. 

The batches with less butter were more like "Cracker Jacks" and still sweet and good, but not as decadent as the 1/2 cup batches, so we decided to go with the full 1/2 cup butter for each batch. 

Enjoy and have a BLESSED Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment