Friday, December 24, 2010

Popcorn Chocolate Nut Treat

A few weeks ago, my step-mother (only for definition as I love her like a mom) called and asked for the recipe of my annual Christmas popcorn treat. She said her mother (age 80 + that lives with her) suggested that they give out my treat to their friends because it is so good. I have made this at Christmas for about 10 years now and my kids always look forward to it and ask that I make it at other times of the year but I never seem to do it. I usually make my toffee as it takes less time and is every bit as wonderful.


I start by popping corn using a hot air popper. If you use other corn it has flavor on it and is greasy. You could use a "whirly pop" but it still has some type of oil for popping. I actually went to a second hand store to find one for my mother-in-law and found one for $3. It really makes it taste better. Once popped, take out any unpopped kernals. It can hurt to bite on one when its chocolate coated.


I get three large bowls. I pour all different types of Chex cereal or the store brand equivalent into the bowls equally. This year I added Kix but really, you can add what cereal you enjoy eating. I then pour in a bag of pretzels. This year I got the Halloween one's on clearance and used those. I doubt anyone will look to see that it is a pumpkin shape. I usually get some long and some round. I add mini marshmallows, any kind of nut, (I usually use almonds, cashews, or pecans) and sometimes I will add coconut to one. I usually put different types of nuts in each bowl so there is a variety. One with almonds, one with cashew and one with pecans.


Next, you melt chocolate and pour into the bowl and mix. I used melting chips bought at Halloween on clearance. They had green and white for 75% off. I added mint flavoring to the green for a different flavor. You can use mint chips but they are very expensive so I chose to do it this way. I also bought bulk chocolate bars by the pound for $.50 a pound at the chocolate factory outlet when I was in the city last week which is a much better chocolate than chips and cost less.


I don't have a double boiler so I just use two different sizes of pan. I put a little water in the bottom pan and put the other pan inside and put the chocolate inside the smaller pan. Once the water is boiling depending on the size of the chips, it only takes a few minutes to melt the chocolate. You can use the microwave but it is easy to scorch it so I use this method and have for years without problem. With the white chocolate, sometimes it gets thick so I add a little butter or shortening to thin it out.


You can use any flavor of chips that you have or like or just get cheap chocolate or bark for baking and add flavorings. Depending on how much of the cereal you use, will depend on how much chocolate you need. I used about a pound for each large bowl. I did the green (mint), white and milk chocolate. Once you have melted the chocolate, pour it into the bowls and stir. I actually use clean hands and mix it that way which makes less spill over the edge.


Once everything is well coated, I pour it onto cookie sheets to let it cool and harden. Once it is cool, break it into chunks and bag. I get different bags each year after the holidays when they are cheap and use those for the next year. I layer the popcorn treat so that it looks cute and that everyone gets a bit of each flavor. I also traditionally give out dried fruit from my trees. I get requests all the time for my dried fruit. (Check out those posts for references on how I dry them.)


So, another year done and I will deliver them today. I had to bag these quickly because each girl came in and "sampled" each tray and it is addictive. Once I start eating it, I can't stop.
Merry Christmas!!!!! Hope you enjoy these as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment