Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Replacing or Fixing Foam Handle Grips On Tools - Pruning Sheers and Snips


I had a pair of pruning clippers that I have used yearly for over 20 years.
I have sharpened them and they still work well. However, the foam handle grip covers started splitting years ago. I started wrapping twine around them years ago which helped for a short time. The twine kept unwinding and would get stuck in the tree branches as I pruned.

I pondered on what to use to "fix" the handles as the edges of the metal was sharp and the metal handles are slippery. I had the idea to use toy nun-chucks and by taking the bottom plugs off the toy, I was able to remove the foam in one piece and slide it onto the tool handle to replace the torn foam.

I was also able to use the little end plugs to put on the end of the tool handles and glued them in using a bit of the torn foam as a way to hold them in. I show in one picture how I used a kitchen drawer to hold the tool on end until the caps glue set. 

I believe I was inspired to use the toy to fix those grips as they get really annoying as the grips slide up and down the handle and the string hangs down and falls off. 
 
God is so good to inspire me on easy ways to make my life easier. Not only was it easy to do, it was inexpensive. The toy nun-chucks cost $1. I doubt I could fix them any cheaper. The foam grips are snug and feel just like they did when we got them all those years ago. 

I am starting to prune my trees this week and am excited to have handles that will work without me having them slide off or the string getting caught in the branches as I prune.

God is good, sharing ideas of ways to repair the tool so I can use them with ease. 

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment