Thursday, October 8, 2020

Cleaning the Shower By Removing the Shower Doors and Frame

I shared in the past few weeks how I had to fix the shower drain in my bathroom. It was leaking and caused some flooding in the basement while I figured out how to fix the drain. 

I have had to caulk the shower door frame for years. Each year, I have to scrape off the caulk and re-caulk it. When I moved into my home, the rubber base below the shower frame was ripped and missing sections on both the inside and outside. 


Since I was fixing the drain, pipes, and ceiling, I figured I should fix the door frame on the shower door. I also wanted to take the entire thing outside and scrub it clean. I have a product I like called "Tub and Tile Cleaner" by a company called Melaleuca. I took the shower doors out, popped the top frame section off, unscrewed the side pieces screws, and had to take a small knife and slice down between the frame and the shower edges to cut away the silicone caulk. 


Once the edges are removed, the bottom will pop out. I had to use the knife to cut the seal with the silicone. It was a dirty job as I have been in the house over 24 years and I have never taken the frame off to clean under it. 

When the frame was completely off, I took the entire thing out of the house and sprayed it with the product I mentioned and scrubbed it all off. I had to use the knife to scrap off some of the build up and silicone on the metal parts. 

It took me several days to scrape off the silicone caulk on the fiberglass shower. It took me days to try and find replacements for the rubber base sections that were torn and ripped.  I went to the plumbing supply store, Ace Hardware, Home Depot, my mechanic, the glass store in town, and the RV supply store at least 2 times each asking before I pulled it out and after I pulled it out trying to find the exact rubber seal. I then got online and called several plumbing supply companies and checked for hours online. 


I finally gave up. I did try a rubber clamping RV seal but it was a bit thick and made the sides just enough higher that the screws wouldn't line up on the metal frame sides so I was sad that wouldn't work. 

I ended up cleaning the old rubber seals and then caulked the parts back in as they had been. It feels good to have the shower done and clean. It won't last as long as I would like as silicon has a short life with water. 


I finished reinstalling the surround frame for the shower doors and the clean shower doors. The shower looks so good that I don't want to use it and get it dirty! 

 

I am grateful that I was able to fix the drain problem, the flooded basement and pipes, the drywall and paint, and to be able to clean the shower to near new condition!

I feel so blessed to have such a beautiful shower and have so many bathrooms in my home. I am TRULY blessed! 


Have a Blessed Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment