Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Pruning for 9 Hours Today - I am EXHAUSTED

I have gotten most of the trees in the yard pruned. I have the  cherry tree left, some roses, shrubs, lilacs, and the big back tree.
Today, I wanted to get the front birch tree done. I haven't pruned any branches on it for a few years. I usually just prune the branches that I can touch from the ground. However, I wanted to prune them much higher as the plants below are not getting sun as the branches have gotten large. 

I pulled out my extension ladder and reciprocating saw and was up the ladder cutting. I couldn't get the extension ladder solid enough to dare climb up as high as I wanted, so opted to keep it folded. I guess I looked precarious on the ladder with my heavy saw, as one of my neighbors came over with the COOLEST tool! 

He brought over a chainsaw on an extension handle that goes up about 15 feet. He did in 20 minutes or less what would have taken me hours, and I probably wouldn't have been able to reach as high on my ladder with my heavy saw.

He said I could borrow his tool to use on the back tall tree! I was so grateful for him sharing that tool as I had never seen one. I was SO impressed with how quickly it worked. He told me that the tool was about $200 so I won't be buying one as I really don't need one as I keep my trees shorter, but I am grateful that he will allow me to borrow his tool. 

He went home after the 20 minutes or so he was here, and I then started cutting down the branches that we dropped. I couldn't believe how long it took me to bread down all those branches! Princess Four was on a date and then an activity, but when she arrived home, she spent over two hours helping me continue to clean up the branches. 

We ended up filling all the garbage cans and bundling four bunches of branches. We finished and cleaned up and got in the house about 1 a.m. I had no idea how late it was because my phone was dead. I was working by flashlight and had no idea how late it had gotten. 

It looks so much better! I do want to take off a few of the lower branches on the front, but needed to remove the branches we dropped to be able to get a ladder under them. They are smaller and won't take long to drop. 

I think all my hard work on the yard this year will pay off for many years! Of course I will have to prune the fruit trees yearly, but the landscaping and larger trees should last for a few years! 

Have a Blessed Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment