Friday, July 5, 2019

Reinforcing A Wooden Arbor with Metal Brackets and Screws - Part 2

 My dad has a wooden arbor at his home. They have wisteria vines climbing over the arbor.
A week or so ago, I cut the vines off the arbor and posted about that here. After that, the arbor was a bit wobbly and the wooden braced spacers were falling out and sagging from the weight of the stuff on top of them for some many years. 

I checked out lots of pieces of different metal brackets and the one I thought I wanted to use were between five and eight dollars each piece. 

There was a spot where the 4 x 4 was coming together on a support 4 x 4 support. it had come apart as we cut down the vines. I was able to tap the end and bring the two top pieces of wood together after cleaning out all the debris between them. I was able to buy a steel T brace and secure the three pieces together. 

I found some larger brackets for less than $1 each and I was able with my brothers help to get the entire frame secured so that when the vines grow back, we won't have to worry about the stability of the arbor. I want to make sure that my dad and his wife won't have to worry about anything for many years. 

Here is part one where I share how to cut down thick vine plants as a hedge trimmer won't work on a thick vine and also a chain saw won't work on them either. s

Part Three is coming so watch for how I use twine to bring the vines up in the right area and train them to go out the arbor where we want shade but not making a wall through the back. 

Thanks for watching. Have a blessed Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment