Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Making Pirate Scarves, Headbands, Hats - Camp Fun


For girls camp this year, we did a pirate theme for our hike. We also dressed the Jr Leaders up as Pirates for the hike. Here is a link to a post about the bag of stuff we gave each of them.


I wish I had done a video of how Princess Five cut and tied off the fronts of the t-shirt. She cut the bottom hem off the t-shirt and then cut holes at the neck edge and then she laced the hem / ribbon through like a shoe gets laced so that the neck "ties" like a shoe or draw string. 


You can't really see it well in the pictures in this post but then we told each girl to cut up or decorate her t-shirt as much as she wanted. You can see in the pictures that each girl did what they wanted with the shirts. 


I made the scarf out of an Aeropostle scarf that I found for $2 at a second hand store. I was looking for a linen type fabric that I could cut into pirate scarves and was THRILLED to see this one that had skulls on it. 


It was PERFECT for what we wanted and it was linen and "frayed" looking which was exactly what I wanted for the scarf / pirate hats. 

I made a video of how I did it just for ease but figured I would show the details as well. It was a large square scarf which I folded on the diagonal and then folded on the diagonal again and again until I had it down to the size of a bandana half. I cut on the diagonals making 8 scarves.  

I used red bandanas for our pirate costumes for years so I knew how to tie off the scarf to make it look like a pirate skull cap. 
 
When tying the scarves off, you need to make sure that the top point of the triangle is tucked down into the bottom two pieces of the triangle when tying the base knot so that you can pull the top of the scarf tight.

I made Princess Five try them on for me so I could demonstrate how to leave the ends out and frayed so it looks more like a pirate scarf. 

After pulling the top corner into the knot, leave the longer ends out which makes it looks like a pirate scarf. 

Princess Five was really cute saying that she thought the hat was really cute and if I had an extra one, she wouldn't mind having one. I figure if a teen wants it, it must be cool! 

It worked well for the hike and many of the girls said it was their favorite event of camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment