Monday, July 14, 2014

Fixing Leather Boots - Button Button, Whose Got the Button

Princess Five has a pair of black boots with buttons. I guess two of the buttons on one of the boots went missing. 
 
Rather than tossing the boots, I figured if we took the top button off one of the boots and put it on the bottom missing spot on the other boot and then found two other buttons to put on the top spot on both boots, the boots would match and still be cute and wearable. 


The buttons on them are usually like an eyelet where the edges are clamped down. 

By prying up the edges, you can get the button off. Then, put it through the hole of the other slot where you want to put the button. 
 
This can be done on pants as well. I often take off one button on a pant pocket where the other is lost and replace both with matching buttons.
 

When you put the button back into the hole where the lost one was, you can pry up the edges and put it through the holes and then push them back down using pliers or I just used the edge of a screwdriver. 
 
For the buttons on the top spot of both boots, I used one that had a metal loop on the back and bent the loop sideways so that it didn't poke her in the leg when she wears it. 
 
I just sewed through the leather but you can see that on the inside of the lining, you can unstitch it if you want to make it invisible. 
 
I was lazy and figured that no one sees the inside of the boot but I don't think she will care.      

No comments:

Post a Comment