Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Decorating the Outside fo the Cabin for Girls Camp

I wanted to show you how the outside of the cabin looked for girls camp. I thought it came out rather cute. The right side was "the dwarf cottage" and the left was the Step-mothers castle. 
 
I took the black leaf vinyl cling with the crows and before we stuck it on, we used a Magic Eraser sponge to lightly clean the area that we were going to use the vinyl on so that it would stick better. It worked well and we had no problem with the clings coming off at all even when it rained.
 
I used plastic cloths on the tables so that I didn't have to worry about cloth getting stained or dirty and I could just throw away them after. I did put a lace cloth over the black on the "witches" side but it was a stained one I got second hand for cheap. 


We used fun tack and thumb tacks to hold many of the other items up. There were already some nails in the outside of the cabins so I didn't worry about putting a few more in. 

All of the items I got were from second hand stores. If you click on the picture, you can see more closely how it was decorated. I used colored sand in the bottles for "potions" and couldn't believe the amount of girls that played with the bottles to figure out what I had put in them to make them look like they had colored potions in them.


The cloth on the dwarf side looked like grass. I had never seen a plastic cloth that looked like grass but I thought it was handy for the "natural" look. 

I bought a bark watering can to put pennies in for the wishing well along with a sign that had a poem about making a wish and throwing in a penny. Many of the girls did make wishes and throw in a penny. 


Lots of the girls enjoyed playing with the garbage can wishing well also. I took a video so that I could describe how I made the well. It seems so easy when I described it but it took me hours to figure out the winding mechanism but it did work well at camp and I think it was well worth the work. There was always someone playing with it.

I printed a sign up saying "I'm wishing, for the one I love, to write me a letter today." as it was our mailbox and I wanted everyone to know that it was so they would leave our letters in the water bucket.

 I stuck the stuffed animal "woodland animals" under the porch roof in case it rained, they wouldn't get really wet.

It did rain the last night and I was SO sorry that I didn't pull out the other disposable table cloths and cover up the tables. We had floating candles and even the stuff under the eves got wet. 

I found this cute little squirrel at a second hand store the week we went to camp. It moves and sounds just like a real chipmunk. It was a big hit with the girls. 

I found some ivy/wreath stuff at the second hand store the day before we went to camp. You can see it hanging over the door and some wrapped on the mirror on the dwarf side. 


Also, you don't see the cape and headband on the wall as later I pushed pins into the wall and hung them on the pins along with a dwarf hat so it looks like they took their stuff off on their way into the cabin.

I will put a video of me describing "the well" on here so that you can make it if you want. I'm dealing with a headache and sit-itus again tonight. 


I hope you get the idea and can really see what I did to make the well. 

It is great fun to crank and for the girls to play with at any point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment