Thursday, May 29, 2014

We Have Graduation - Princess Four Rocked her Speech

Princess Four graduated this past week. She spoke at graduation and was weighed down by many ropes/cords, collars and leis. I couldn't be more impressed with her actions and conduct through her high school years. 
 
She gave a wonderful speech and got many compliments on it. I have included it on this post only omitting names. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. 

"As I was pondering on what I should speak about today, I thought back to junior year during student body elections. I chose to run for Student Body President and the slogan I used was ‘Don’t you forget about me’ from the song in the breakfast club. The student council voted on making this slogan the theme for the upcoming year. I would see this theme on our school shirts very regularly, and I didn’t realize how much one little statement could end up influencing my life.
 

With graduation finally here and the opportunity to think back on all my high school experiences I started thinking of all the things I didn’t want to forget.  I will always remember the ceiling in building one that let us enjoy the rain and snow inside. Or when entire classes would freak out that Mr. B came to school without his mustache. And who could forget J’s Graduation speech last year where the only word it is remembered for is “applesauce.” 

On this trip down memory lane, I thought way back to freshman year when I was just a little baby 13 year old. I remember I used to get upset at Taylor Swift when her song 15 would play, because I was definitely not 15 when I walked through the doors on the morning of my very first day of high school.  I had no idea that graduation would sneak up on me so fast, as I am sure many of my fellow graduates would agree. 

It is crazy to think that four years ago we were at freshman orientation just beginning our high school experience. And now, today, we get to bring that wonderful experience to an end. But I have a secret. Graduation is most definitely not the end. It is actually the begging. That sounds super cliché, but it is so true. Walking across this stage and receiving our diplomas creates so many opportunities and opens so many doors. 
 
It is great to look back on all the memories that were made in our years at high school, but it is even better to know that we have so much more in store for us in the future.

The theme------ ‘Don’t you forget about me’ made me realize I have so many wonderful people in my life that pushed and helped me to be where I am today. Words cannot express my gratitude for every person who has influenced my life. Throughout this year I tried my hardest to try to seek out those who might have felt left out and feel forgotten as I have felt that way before too, as we all have at one time or another.
 
At the end of 8th grade I tried out for the dance team. As if trying out wasn’t scary enough, I remember feeling very nervous and alone when I made the team.  Soon after the try outs were over I received a note from S. B. telling me how excited she was for us to be on drill team together and how glad she was that we could be friends. She then proceeded to ask me to go hiking with her and some friends during the summer just one time, and that invitation truly changed my life. We became good friends after that, and she taught me that by reaching out just one single time you can change a life. S. B. didn’t forget about me.

I know I feel best about myself when I am helping others, and I appreciate it when others help me. During my sophomore year I lost my cell phone. I looked all over the school and finally asked a janitor to help me search for it even though I felt silly asking him to help me with what I thought was a hopeless cause. He ended up finding my phone in a garbage can in the band room where it had landed after falling of my pocket. This act of kindness from a janitor helped me learn that sometimes I can’t do things by myself, and that it’s ok to ask for help. He didn’t forget about me.
 
At Junior prom, my Grandpa drove six hours in one day just for one three minute dance so that I would have someone to dance with for the “Father-daughter” dance. He had early morning meetings in SL the next day but had a smile on his face and spent the time needed to make me feel unforgotten. Sometimes, family may be the ones we overlook, but, little acts of “remembering” to do kind things for them can change their world as my grandfather act of kindness has done for me.
 
One day during the first semester of my Senior year, I had had a super rough morning and cried in the bathroom after a long drill team practice. I was feeling stressed and unappreciated. I walked alone to my first hour seminary class on the verge of tears. A boy I had never talked to, but recognized from the boys basketball team, opened the door for me. He turned my whole day around. I still don’t know what his name is, but he made my day. That fellow wildcat didn’t forget about me.
 
From these experiences, I have learned that I can be the change I want to see in the world. As my favorite poet Dr. Seuss said, “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing is going to get better it’s not.” As we all continue to progress in our lives, I hope that everyone in the graduating class of 2014 will pursue their dreams and find true happiness. I wish you all the best of luck. I promise that if you will remember this moment and choose to not forget about others, you will truly change the world.
 
Thank you Graduates, and Remember….  Don’t you forget about me!"

You can see pictures of her getting ready, walking to the stage, giving the speech and then pictures of us after. My niece graduated as well so I included one of them as well. I thought it funny that in the group graduation picture, they are the only two turned to face me. 

It was one of those days that I will always remember. We had my dad and step-mom (only say that for clarity as she is as much a mom as a mom could be), all my girls and Grand-Princess number one's first home visit along with her dad the Prince. The house was ready, the speech was over, school was done, I was in HEAVEN! It was a wonderful day!  

 
I LOVE YOU Princess Four! I WANT YOU! I am PROUD of you! "You is Kind, You is Smart, and You is Important!"

No comments:

Post a Comment