Friday, May 9, 2014

Decorations for Camp - Snow White


I have been collecting decorations for girls camp to fit our Snow White, "Happily Ever After" theme. 

There are some fun things I found for decorating. I am planning on decorating one half of the cabin as if it were the queen's castle and the other half of the cabin as the Dwarfs cottage. 

For the dwarf side, I bought seven wooden bowls, a wooden candle holder, a wooden vase and several wooden frames along with wooden utensils.

I had a miners lantern hanging in my backyard which I am going to use as well. I have flame-less candles as well to put in the lantern and the wood candle holder.

We wanted lanterns for the girls to carry the night we wear our dwarf hats. Click here to see how we made those. We started looking at making lanterns using paint and mason jars with wire but I was shopping at the dollar store and saw these lanterns with the candles in them already for a dollar each. 

If we made them, by the time we bought the jars, paint, wire and a candle, it would have cost us more than $1 a lantern. It made so much more sense to purchase these as they had the candles, batteries and were mining looking lanterns more than we could probably make from jars. 

The local store only had about 7 that had working lights in them so I had Princess Two go to several stores in her area and find me 20 more that were working so even if a few didn't work, we would still have enough for all the girls to carry on the night we wear our dwarf hats we made from sweaters. 

I found several old "Snow White" books and puzzles that we will have on a table for the girls to enjoy and will use them for an object lesson. I am amazed that all these things just showed up when we were looking for them but that is how things work with me. My guardian angles must work over time as I usually get the things I need when I need them. 

I found this leaf and bird wall cling for $1 at a second hand store and will be using it on the outside of the cabin as it has two in the package, it can work for both the cottage and castle sides. 


I found these matching frames and printed off some of the Disney pictures to go in the frames and will hang them on the wall with the mirror and candle holders that match the frames. They are all plastic so fun tack should hold them. 

My very favorite decoration I have found so far is this cool antique glass looking candle holder made from wood twigs and vine. It looks antique and I think it is really creative. It is fiberglass that makes it look like hand-blown glass.


I also found this mid-evil weapon wall holder that is missing the sword but the other metal spike balls are fun. I will wire them on so no girls pull them off but I thought it would add to the dungeon look. 

I found two marble apples also that I will use around the cabin as we are using apples as part of our theme as you can read about in the post about the kick off lesson. Click here for that. 

Since I took these pictures, I have found a few more fun items but I will post about those another day. 

We found out today that we for sure have a cabin which means we can do some other decorations that we wanted to make but if we were in a large tent, it would have been difficult to do. Now, we can proceed on those decorations. The girls are getting excited about camp since we have started making items for it. It will be a fun few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment