Thursday, May 15, 2014

Decorations for Girls Camp - Snow White Part 2


I got an idea for girls camp. I thought it would be fun to get different bottles and put something in them to make it look like they have "poison" in them for the "Castle" side of the decorations. I was looking for something I could put in them that would make different colors but not be a liquid.

I thought of mixing food coloring with sugar but thought that the color may not be consistent. I then thought about adding Kool Aid in to sugar and thought the results may be similar.

Princess Five suggested that I use Jello but at 70 cents a box, getting all the colors would be a bit expensive on the limited camp budget.

She then remembered that a few years ago, I purchased some colored sand for camping so the kids could decorate the sand without harm to the environment.

Here is a post about that.  So, I scrounged around in the camping activity area and found that I still had a little bit of each color left. What you see in the bottles at the top of the page is what was left in the squeeze tubes of sand.

It was fun to be able to put the sand in the different sized jars. Princess Five has a great memory....

I also found this fun goblet that is gold on the bottom and I thought it looked like a poison goblet so that will go with the jars on the "Wicked Queen" side of the decorations.

I also went to the second hand stores looking for "woodland creatures" to decorate around the cabin. We found out that we are in a cabin and not a tent this year which made me VERY happy.

I couldn't go with regular Easter type bunnies or teddy bears so I have been collecting for a few weeks. I hit the jackpot one day when I found a opossum, woodchuck, raccoon, bunnies and two owls. Those are the type of creatures that are in the movie.

I looked at some ceramic animals but worried they would get broken in transit and some weren't painted and that was WAY to time consuming for me. I later found this metal bird and the two deer to add to the mix. I think I have plenty now to put around the cabin to make it feel "Woodsy" while we are there. I probably have enough decorations that each girl could take one home as a memory as we won't have a need for them after camp.

The jars I have been collecting for Princess Five since October as she wanted them for Halloween potions so those are hers, but the other stuff was purchased just for camp so it may be fun to have them draw numbers and let them choose something.

I am still working on finishing the crocheted headbands and hope to post on those as I made up the pattern myself and the girls think they are really cute.  It is shaping up to be a very fun year at camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment