Friday, August 24, 2012

Designer Coin Jewelry - One of a Kind Gift


 I have a niece who works as a manager at a fun center. On our road trip, we asked if we could spend a day there. I tried to think of a cute way to thank her for getting us in for free. I asked if she would like some jewelry made out of the tokens that they use for the games at the center. 

She said she thought that would be fun as she could wear the necklace to work. We tried to find newer, shiny tokens so that the color would be uniform. 

I went to a large craft store and found some fittings, chain and jump rings that were the brass color of the tokens.

I bought some 1/16" inch drill bits on clearance and bought the entire lot on sale because I have used them for so many similar projects that I knew they would get used. You can use a drill or a dremel but I like holding the drill better than the dremel so I use my drill. 

I used one token as a test and ended up throwing it out. I was thinking about doing two jump rings between each token but didn't like the way it looked so I stayed with one between each and used one as a pattern so I could keep the holes in the same place for each token. 

I used the chain I bought and shortened it so I could use a little on the earrings and bracelet.

On the earrings, I made one side a little longer than the other so they looked cute and on the necklace and bracelet, I alternated between the top and bottom side of the tokens to give it a bit of variety. I also had one token hanging down on the necklace. 

The entire necklace cost me less than $10 to make and is one of a kind. You can do this with anything. I will show some cute things we have made next week but here is a link to the necklaces we made for Africa. And, here is a link to charm bracelets we put coins on doing a similar thing by drilling a hole. 

I have fun creating new things and will show you one I made for myself next week as well. For those of you starting school soon, I hope this year is wonderful!  

No comments:

Post a Comment