Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Duct Tape Shorts or Pants - Still able to sit comfortably


This week is spirit week again and they are having duct tape day. Princess 3 and 4 were looking for ideas so I suggested they take some old pants or shorts and cover them with duct tape. If you remember in my last post on Duct Tape clothing, (Click here for the shirt) I mention how hot and sweaty the shirt got and ended up really stinky because it didn't allow the body to breath.

Because of this, I suggested they only put the tape over part of the clothes and not where they need to bend. If the tape is over the knees, it makes it hard to kneel. Same at the hip joint. I think these shorts came out really cute and she can still sit in class somewhat comfortably. You can do it with pants but I would not put the tape around the leg in that case or the tape will stretch at the knee. I like the up and down better for that as it can pull apart a little stretching the gummy tape rather than pulling and separating.

Princess number 4 did most of the shorts herself and just needed help on the back of the stripped leg and on the pockets. I thought the pockets gave it dimension. She thought it made her look like a hippie. I'm not sure what she is thinking there. Those colors were more 80's but whatever it reminded her of, in the end, they are still cute.

I show in the picture how the stripped one going up and down is uneven at the edges so I suggested she do a stripe around the top and bottom to make it look finished. I helped with that as well and I think they really are cute.

The pockets are still functional yet accented with the duct tape. I asked if she wanted any of the decorative tapes but she wanted to keep it solid.

I think if you tried to make these yourself with the pants off you on the floor or something, I think when you tried to put them on, they would be too tight. with the person wearing them, it gives the depth and dimension you need. The tape might keep the fabric from giving if they weren't stretched while putting them on so make sure they are on the person before you put the Duct Tape on them.

Princess number four said that it felt weird to walk and also to take them off. I am sure she will get used to it tomorrow and she liked that she was still able to sit comfortably.

We used half a strip on the pockets rather than the full size of Duct tape so it wasn't as thick. I think it could have been cute with just 1/4 thickness. Also, It could have been really cute to make a duck tape belt going under the loops making it look like she was wearing a belt with it. She has black and silver duct tape she could have made it look like she was wearing a belt buckle.

Just some fun ideas and thoughts. It has been hot out so she wanted to do the shorts over the pants. There are a million ways to do it but I thought I would share how we did it.

I have so many things over the past few weeks I have taken pictures of to post about and have been so busy that I haven't gotten to all of them. But, since, Princesses 3 and 4 were doing duct tape this week, I thought I would continue to add to my Duct Tape crafts and show you what they did as I think the other things they did were creative as well. Here are some other things we have made in Duct Tape:

I will post a few more things this week they made with Duct Tape that I thought were really cute and creative. The things they come up with..... What talented, creative and imaginative Princesses I have!  

No comments:

Post a Comment