Thursday, April 5, 2012

Easter Egg Dying the AWESOME Way - Part 3 Textures


BUY RUBBER GLOVES BEFORE THIS!!!

We ran around the house and yard gathering lots of things to use or try to use to give texture to the eggs and dye. I grabbed, tulle, elastics, plant leaves and flowers, string, ribbon, rick-rack, lace, cheese cloth, shelf liner, etc.

It was hard to keep the elastics on the egg. It was better if you had one elastic on the egg in the center both directions and then the others would stay on better. One daughter painted on the dye using paint brushes so she could have the multi colored egg you see in the top picture. It took several coats of each dye and she let it dry in between. She like that one.


The same thing happened with string. It kept slipping off. When I put an elastic or a piece of thicker ribbon around the center first, then wrapped the string, the string held better that way. The more layers of string I wrapped the better.

The rick-rack was hard as well. I used that on a wooden egg and used a pin in the center to hold the layers tight while I wrapped the next layer. You could probably tape it to itself if you were using a real egg shell and then tape the layers on with two sided sticky tape. It needs to be tight against the egg to get the texture on it however. So, We used old nylons, textured cheese cloth and tulle. None of them made a very deep impression I did better with using the cheese cloth to hold the smaller items against the egg to get the pattern.


I tried leaves and ferns and they looked OK, I wasn't thrilled with them as I couldn't get anything wrapped tightly enough in a pattern to let you be able to tell what it was. I have seen flowers done. I tried little blossoms off the tree but they were so fragile that I made them really soggy and didn't show much. I think grass would have been fun and cool and I may try that next time. Pine needles would have also probably been cool. I gathered the cheese cloth in my hand, stuck the egg directly in the center of the cheese cloth and then placed the leaves around the sides so I could hold them in place. It worked better with my "donkey ear" leaves from outside than the fern leaves. You can see the fern but can't really tell what it is. You can't tell on the leaves either but they did make a cool pattern.

One cute one we did that was quick and easy is gathering fabric of any kind that isn't thin around the egg tightly. Wherever the tight wrinkles are on the egg, there will be fun lines. If you tied it at the top, the lines are vertical. If you tied it around the middle, the lines are horizontal. They are all cute.


The light lace didn't work at all, it was like eyelet and it wouldn't stay on even when I tried with the nylon or cheese clothe wrapped around it. The thicker edging type ribbon worked well when I pulled it tight around the middle and then used the string to wrap around or when I held it tight and got the cheese cloth or nylon around it tightly. Still, I think it would have been better on a wooden egg with a pin holding it tightly until I got the nylon on like I did with the rick-rack.

One of my favorite and the easiest textures was using the rubber shelf liner. I cut a square off and stuck it on a small egg and secured it with a rubber band. It reminded me of a dinosaur skin when it came off. I then tied a piece of it around the center of a larger egg with similar results. Quick and cute results with minimal work.
Tomorrow, I will show the final products. Since I have so many pictures, I can't add them all on the same post.
To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment