Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Food For Thought

Being on the board of directors for the food bank has its advantages. Sometime the work to help out can be time consuming but in other ways, I am "paid" for my service. Over the past few weeks, they have gotten many perishable items that won't last until we get our walk in fridge so rather than have it go to waste, they will call and I will pick it up and share it around.


They had a palate full of 50 lb bags of 5 lbs bags of potatoes. I guess on the trip down, the outer edges froze and so the bags started to rot as the outer potatoes thawed. They had to get rid of them fast. I took two fifty pound bags and after pulling the 5 lb bags out, only the bottom bags were bad. I gave 45 pounds to my sister to share around and kept 45 lbs for myself and my neighbors. I delivered a few bags to neighbors.


So, Sunday after church we invited a family for dinner and ate roasted potatoes with the roast.


Thursday, we had mashed potatoes. Wednesday night we had homemade French Fries. (Being on the biggest loser diet I only had 2) Tuesday night we had potato salad. (Of course, I only had one spoonful) Monday night we had baked potatoes. I figured I will make some "funeral" potatoes in disposable trays and freeze them so I will have some handy for the next funeral or baby birth at church.


What a blessing to be able to share what we are blessed with with our neighbors, friends, and family.


Heavenly Father truly does bless us!

No comments:

Post a Comment