Thursday, February 17, 2011

Potato Salad with Crab and Apples

Many years ago, I had some older apples that we wouldn't eat. They still tasted good but were starting to wrinkle so the kids wouldn't eat them. I was making potato salad and thought, "I wonder what it would taste like if I put apple chunks in the same size as the potatoes?" So, I took the older apples and used the apple corer to slice it.


I then chopped up the washed apples and put them in my potato salad. Over the years when I would taste something in someones potato salad I liked, I would start adding it to mine.


This is the result. I do have one daughter that doesn't like the crab as much but eats it anyway as the rest is very good.


Five pounds of potatoes peeled or washed (if you want peel)

Approx 1 cup mayo or salad dressing (your choice)

About 3 Tablespoons of Dijon Mustard (to taste)

1 cup frozen peas rinsed (to get ice crystals off or they melt and make the salad watery)

1/2 pound package of imitation crab meat thawed and flaked

4 med sized apples cored and chopped. I leave the peal on. I try to add different varieties to give texture and color.

Optional - Onions chopped small or dried if you like that. My girls don't but I do.

If you don't like crab, try real bacon crumbled in it for a nice variation.

Peel, chop and boil potatoes until a fork goes through them easily but don't over boil or you will have mashed potatoes.


Once they are done, I soak them in cold water for about 2 minutes and drain them. I add the other ingredients and stir. I actually like making this ahead of time and letting the potatoes soak in the flavor of the mustard. I think it is better the second day. My kids had second and third helpings of this over some of the other food we had. It was gone by mid day the next day. I like doubling the batch because I know it won't go to waste.


I make this when we go camping. I boil the potatoes and take all the other ingredients in the cooler. We just cut the apples and dump everything else in at the sand dunes and have fresh potato salad. It is easy and good! My favorite kind of recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment