Friday, February 11, 2011

Family On The Go Safety Information

Ever since my kids were small, I would take them to safety fairs and they would get their fingerprints taken. Not until a few years ago, did I realize that I wasn't really prepared. My younger three children came home from a safety fair with these little books put out by the Sheriffs department.


I looked them over and read the information inside and was shocked at how much I didn't have information wise on my children. They have pages for head shot pictures and full length pictures. Pages for dental records. I have to tell you when I went to the dentist to get copies of their dental records, they had never done that for anyone before. They had only sent them for new dentists when moving etc.


They have pages for finger prints and the ink and wipes to make them. There is a little container stapled to the inside cover for DNA. I put some hair, fingernail clipping or skin hangnails etc. in each. They have pages for the kids to put their friends names and addresses. They ask for their favorite hiding spots, where they go when they are mad or scared etc.


They have pages for their vaccinations, allergies, medical issues. Dates of illness or surgery page. They have charts where you put scars, moles, birthmarks or tattoo's.

There is a page at the end that has you quickly put down what your child was wearing, current weight, height and things that would change such as haircut, etc. They ask location where last seen, time they were last seen. Other pages ask about if the child can swim, which hand they prefer to use, build, height etc.

There is a cut off slip for you to write contact information from the person you gave the information to so you will know how to get it back.

There is a press release form you sign before so they can get your child's photo to the press asap. I made packets for all our family with this information in it but also put in copies of our SS card, Passports, Birth Certificates, emergency contact numbers, signed medical releases, and copies of my state licences. I have these at my sisters house so if anything happens to my house or there is a disaster and we are missing, they will have identification information. Also, if anything happens to my house and my "Book of Life" (see past blog) gets destroyed, then we will have copies of all that handy.

I sure am grateful for whoever spent the time to put those booklets together. It really didn't take me more than a few days to get all the information in the books. I just made a few calls and had the kids fill out the majority while I pulled out a few photos.

You may want to call your local sheriff and see if they have something available so you don't have to do all the leg work yourself. If they don't have them, ask if they would be willing to search through their sources to see what is available in that way and maybe get your local PTA to sponsor buying them for the kids at the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment