Monday, February 28, 2011

Easy Lasagna, No Cook Noodles

The other day, my daughter called me and told me that she had a dream I died. She was very upset and I told her that if I did, she would be OK because I have my blog and everything she would need to know was on here. She could just look up her favorite recipes or information she wanted to know. Such as, how to refinish something, and there it would be.


She said "You know so much more weird stuff than anyone else. You can't die. Who would I go to for that stuff." I laughed and told her "You would make it through because if God wanted me to go, he would make a way for you to handle it."


She wasn't thrilled with that answer but what could I do? It did get me thinking however as to what recipes the kids like that I hadn't blogged about before. My grandmother died and not one of her kids got her famous cheesy potato recipe. Not wanting that to be the same in my case, I pondered it out. One I thought of was my potato salad so I blogged about that a few days ago. Another was my lasagna. So, I had my oldest pull out all the stuff and I showed her how to make my easy lasagna.


Lasagna

2 boxes lasagna noodles
2 eggs
2 containers ricotta cheese or cottage cheese or one of each.
2-3 containers of spaghetti sauce (I used 1 homemade, 2 cans)
2 lbs hamburger or other meat. I sometimes use chicken
2-4 lbs of mozzarella cheese grated

Optional items

Frozen veggies (I like broccoli)
fresh, dried or canned mushrooms
other types of cheese
canned tomato sauce to thicken sauce if needed


Brown the meat and drain it. Then mix all the veggies and sauces together with the meat. Place a ladle full of sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Mix the ricotta/cottage cheese together with the eggs until is is easy to spread.


Place a layer of dried noodles on top of the sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Spoon on some egg/cheese mixture and spread it evenly over the noodles. Spoon another ladle of sauce over the noodles evenly.


Spread a fine layer of cheese over the sauce. Then repeat the process. Place a layer of noodles, spread cheese/egg, and then sauce and a layer of grated cheese until the whole baking dish is full. I push the layers down as the meat in the sauce makes them stick up some.


If you are baking the lasagna now, pour 1 cup of water into the side of the baking dish. You want to make sure the water is covering the top layer of noodles when you push them down. This is so the noodles will cook as it bakes. Don't add too much water or you will have a noodle lasagna soup. I have drained some off while it is cooking if I added too much.


Bake at 350 degrees for an hour or until done. I don't usually cover my lasagna but if the baking rack is near the top, I will loosely cover it with foil to keep the top from being dark and remove the foil toward the last half of baking.


If you are going to freeze the lasagna or bake it later, I add 1/2 cup of water, cover it with saran wrap and then foil. I write the baking instructions on the top of the foil with a Sharpie so I will know what it is inside. Or, if I have a friend that has a death or baby, I can just grab it out of the freezer, take it over and they can bake it when they need it. I did forget to write "take off the saran wrap and foil before baking" on the top.
I take over the lasagna along with a stick of my frozen cookie dough (see post "the legend of the salty cookie here: http://thesecretisgratitude.blogspot.com/2010/04/legend-of-salty-cookies.html ) and some frozen rolls in a bag with the instructions on them and they have a homemade meal ready in the freezer for when they need it.


I usually make some in disposable pans so that there are no dishes to return. I have about 10 baking pans and I will make a large batch at the same time along with some of our other favorites such as chicken enchiladas and broccoli cheese casserole and freeze them all when the freezer gets empty so we can just pull them out and bake them on a busy day.


I'm so blessed that it's been awhile since I had room in my freezer to do that but right now we are using up what is in there so I can post those other recipes soon. The reason the pans at the top of the page are empty or used is because the girls cut into and ate them before I got a photo. They don't last very long. We made three pans that day and they were all gone in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment