Tuesday, January 4, 2011

One Sweet Afghaning Friend

I have a friend I have mentioned on my blog before named Julie. She makes afghans for charity in her spare time. She crochets when she is in the car, watching TV and other times. She asked me to keep my eye out for yarn when I am at thrift stores or yard sales. Over the past few years, I have called her and dropped of yarn many times.


One of the last times I took over yarn, I called her from the store and told her I found the ugliest green color and wasn't sure she would want to use it. She told me since it was for charity, she didn't care as it would make someone warm even if it didn't look nice. So, I took it over. Each time I drop off some yarn, she shows me her latest afghan. I couldn't believe how beautiful the afghan with the ugly green yarn came out.


I was telling her that I would love to make afghans for my kids for Christmas and she told me she would do it if I bought the yarn. Over the years I had collected many skeins of yarn to use for knitting. I went through the yarn and had enough for a few afghans and had lots more unused skeins that I took back and exchanged for the colors the kids wanted. In all, I don't think I spent any money getting yarn for any of the afghans. I just used what I had in exchange. My oldest daughter gave it a term "reverse shopping" when she went shopping with us last month.


Julie was amazing. She crochet all the lap afghans in a few weeks. She even snuck the afghan with the ugly green yarn in for me as I tried and tried to match the yarns that she used so I could make one myself.


Julies daughter showed her how to make these afghans using three skeins of yarn at the same time. Julie has since showed me how to make them and I have 3 of my five girls making afghans all in various stages of production.


Tomorrow, I will show you my first attempt at making an afghan and how the girls afghans are coming out. Perhaps the next day, I will show you how things have improved on my end and how to make one for yourself. They go quickly as you use the largest crochet hook available and three types of yarn at a time. I have been doing needle work for years and this is by far the fastest afghan I have ever made.


I can't thank Julie enough for being so kind as to make us all afghans. Mine sits proudly on the back of the couch in the living room for those unexpected afternoon naps on the couch. It is just what we needed!

Just last night as I was tucking my youngest into bed, I picked up her afghan and she said, "I really love that blanket." Another daughter said it was her favorite Christmas gift because she got to pick out the colors and she knew it was made with love. Each of the girls was so excited about getting to choose their own colors. The girls can be see wearing their afghans at any time. They use them like sweatshirts while walking and then as blankets watching movies etc.

Julies gift was by far our favorite and most thoughtful gift received this year. Thanks again Julie! We LOVE you!

No comments:

Post a Comment