Monday, January 31, 2011

Heat Me Up.... Homemade Heating Pads

For about 16 years now I have made homemade heating pads out of some type of grain and fabric. I used to make them for gifts and I had a boutique that I ran and would sell them every year. I have used many types of fabric over the years. I have made them several different shapes and sizes.


The first one's I made I used animal feed grain corn. I bought it at IFA. You have to buy it in large bags and I made enough to use about half of the bag. I went out a few months later to get it out of the garage and the bag was full of bugs. I realized at that point I should have microwaved all the heat bags once they were made to kill any bugs or eggs that were in the grain just in case someone didn't use theirs right away.


After a few years, I started making them out of rice or wheat. I have some with rice, some with wheat, some with corn, and my favorite is filled with rice and flax seed. I would have thought that the flax would possibly go bad but because it is heated all the time, I guess it keeps it from going rancid.


My favorite fabric to use is upholstery fabric. This is my favorite because the fabric is a little thicker than normal and when the grains get hot, sometimes the thin flannel isn't enough to keep the grain from being hot against the skin. To get the upholstery fabric I would go to the home decorating stores and get their upholstery fabric books that were out of date and use the scraps in those to make coordinating bags. I would make a large bag out of the largest piece, then I would make a long skinny neck heating pad out of the longer coordinating piece and I would make two hand warmers out of the smallest coordinating piece. I would wrap them up in a set and would sell them or give them as a gift. Now we have a Walmart store in our area and they sell upholstery fabric making it easier to get. I have seen them made out of cotton towels but they get caught on things so I haven't like those as much. Also, if they aren't 100% cotton, they can melt in the microwave.


I have had a problem when someone gave us one out of fleece. Fleece is made of synthetics and melts in the microwave. Not a good idea. 100 % cotton is best.


One time, my kids went to a youth craft activity and came home with large gym socks filled with rice and they just tied the top of the sock in a knot and that was the heating pad. It was good for necks.


So, I thought it would be cute to use some long cotton knee socks to make them for your kids friends as gifts. Here are some of the socks my girls have that are cotton that would be cute. I also thought that using the cotton tights would be good for an over the neck and shoulders heating pad. You would just have to sew the legs of the tights about the thigh area and fill it from the waist and then sew the waist shut. I already have 15 heating pads so didn't want to make any more but we use them nightly so I just thought those were some easy ways to make them.


My favorite shape of heating pad is the U-Shaped bag. This bag is shaped like a U but also has some dividing slots sewn in but also allows for the grain to move through the bottom so you can mix it up. I use this pad every night. I put the bottom of the U on my lower back and then the arms of the U face my feet and I wrap them up over my hips. I have a hip that gets sore sometimes and when it is sore, I can wrap this bag over the hip on top, the bottom of the U is on the side and the other "arm" is on the back. Right now, I have that one over my shoulders and neck keeping me warm as I write this.


I do have cautions. Don't overheat them. As you can see in this picture, I overheated this flannel one and it scorched the fabric. I had it in the microwave next to the U-shaped one and it left little dark marks on that one as well. Not to mention that it made the house smell like burnt popcorn for a day.


The other caution I have is that the flannel is thin and NEVER use these on an older person or a baby as they can't tell you that they are burning or hot and an elderly person sometimes have nerve deficits in their extremities and can't tell their skin is burning. So, just be careful using them. If I use the flannel one's and they are a bit hot, I wrap them in a hand towel before putting them next to the skin. It works well to give you the warmth you want without the hot feel.


If you don't want to have the bags next to your skin but want to warm up your bed naturally without an electric blanket or heating pad, I sometimes will heat a few up and put one at the foot of my bed under the blankets and one on my pillow so when I climb into bed it is warm.


Lastly, before you put the grains in the bag, you can pour a few drops of an essential oil such as peppermint into the grains and stir it in so that when the bag heats up, you get a wonderful smell. Lavender is a good one to use for bedtime where as peppermint would be something that would wake you up so may be good for use after skiing or something.



My family uses these nightly and we have many so everyone can have several. I know my brothers family said they were fighting over the one's I made them so we made enough that everyone could have one.


If you have never used these before, I suggest you give them a try. Just sew right sides together in whatever shape you desire and leave a small opening on one side. Flip it right side out, fill with whichever grain you have on hand and whip-stitch or use a sewing machine to close the hole. If you don't sew, buy some long cotton socks and tie them off at the top!


Here's to staying warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment