Thursday, January 27, 2011

Memory and Handprint Quilt Part 4

I had to give the quilt a break for a few days. We went out of town and I took it with me. We cut out all the extra batting that was showing in the seams and then I had my daughter help me cut the edges so they would fray when it was washed and dried.


The cutting of the batting went well. However, when my daughter was cutting the edges of the quilt, she cut right through the seams at least once on every square. She was looking at the top side but was cutting through the seam on the bottom side. I didn't catch it as I was working on the other half of the quilt but didn't start until she had several rows already done.


At one point, she got some fabric caught under and sliced two long lines right through all three layers on one of the hands. So, if you are going to try this ever, sew two lines 1/4 inch apart and only cut to the first line, that way if you cut the first line, you have a back up. As it was, I spent all morning this morning for another 4 hours or more sewing the seams again for the third time to repair what was damaged. I used a zig-zag stitch and probably would do one a straight line and one a zig-zag if I ever do this again just so I can cut to the first line but have some give when I am cutting.


I was so frustrated with the sewing machines and the quilt that I put it off for two days. I started this morning and ended up bouncing between two not working well sewing machines as the fabric is so thick on the seams, I broke another 5 sewing needles at least not to mention threading the needle about 50 times. Bad threading design on the Necchi machine I bought. I haven't been impressed with it at all. I bought it new three years ago and keep going back to my old machine that was a sears brand as it worked better but doesn't go through thick layers well. Get a Bernina if you have a choice.


We cut the edges and seams on an angle hoping the edge would fray well. We sliced them about 1/3 inch apart. My thumb has been numb for three days now cutting through the jean layers and I only did half the quilt. My daughter had better scissors than I did and would suggest you get some really sharp fabric scissors if you are going to try this type of quilt. Oh the things one learns from mistakes.


When cutting the seams, choose your spot wisely. My daughter started on the couch and I could see it was making a huge mess so we moved to the floor. It still made a huge mess but at least we could vacuum it up fairly easily.

One thing I will say for this quilt, it is VERY messy. Continued and finished tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I made five of these quilts so if you are reading this, please type in hand print quilt in the search at the bottom to see how I learned to make it more quickly and easy. There will be many posts on the others I made

    ReplyDelete