Thursday, June 24, 2010

Thanks a Million...


Have you ever known someone who always has to "one up" you on the thank you front? Are you someone who always has to be "one up" others? Have you played this game in the past? "Thank You.", "NO, THANK YOU!"


I have always tried to give gratitude to others when I borrowed something or they did a kind act or if they allowed me to stay at their house.

However, I used to have to always have the last word on saying thank you or when someone would try to pay me for something, I wouldn't take the money. I would offer money and gifts when I would stay at their house.


One day, I needed to borrow a fax machine from my neighbor and she told me that I could only use it if I didn't send her a thank you note or make her cookies or give her a gift.


I thought that was very weird but I have a friend who visits a few times a year. When I did something anyone would do, she offered me money. I told her I didn't want it and while driving a few days later, I found the money in between the seats in my car. I can't tell you how many times I had done similar things. I hid money in homes when they wouldn't take it etc.


I realized that day that sometimes, we need to allow people to serve without a grand thank you or when doing a small thing like borrowing a fax machine which may be a big deal to me since I don't have one and in a small town, didn't know where to go to pay to use one, it was nothing to her. I examined myself and found that at some point, I was not wanting to be in someones debt. If I was always the last to say "thanks" or give them money then I could always ask them for help in the future and I wouldn't feel guilty and mostly, I could be "one up" on the gracious scale.


Sometimes a simple but sincere, "Thank you so much for holding the door open, I really appreciate that." can mean so much more than a letter to the editor with your name in highlights.



Tomorrows blog may seem in contradiction to what I have written today, however, sometimes the simple yet sincere words mean more than the money or a big gift. With that in mind, "Thank you so much for reading this blog and sharing it with your friends." ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment