Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Sometimes You're Up and Sometimes Down Part 1


When I was about 14, I had a friend who's family owned the old Coors ranch in Idaho. It was a beautiful place. She invited me to go with her family. While there, her father and brother invited us to hike Mount Greylock. It was an ominous peak overshadowing all of the other peaks around it. I was young and thought I could do it so we said we wanted to go.


We got up very early and started out hiking. Greylock Mountain is a summit in Elmore County in the state of Idaho and climbs to 9,167 feet above sea level. I got about half way up the mountain and sat down and started to cry. My knees hurt so much I could barely walk. I had arch supports but hadn't been wearing them.


My friends brother was out of sight the whole hike. Her father was one of the kindest men I had ever met. He gently talked about how he couldn't leave me there alone and if I quit, I would regret it and how he then wouldn't be able to complete the hike. He said he would help me along the way. He let me calm down and rest my knees and we started again. I was by far the slowest climber of the group and was sorry for them that I had gone along.


We reached the summit and it was a beautiful view. There was a little jar at the top with paper and pencil in it to record your name and date. We read the other entries and I was proud to be able to add my name to the jar.


On the way down, I led the pack and kept up with my friends brother running down the mountainside at times. I was free of pain and felt wonderful. My friend however cried on the way down saying her knees hurt. Her father was just as gentle with her helping her down at every turn making sure we both made it up and down the mountain.


I am sure the Savior is there when we hit those times in life when we feel like we just can't go on and sit and cry. I imagine him encouraging us to get up and go on and letting us know we can make it.


To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment